Saturday, January 28, 2023

Philippians 4:13 - "Wait On You"


Yesterday was another long day but one I am thankful to have the privilege to experience. Being at the hospital has reminded me how much I feel at home in that setting. I remember when I was given the opportunity to be a Medical Chaplain at Willard I was so blessed from the start to when my time ended there. Loving on people with Jesus' love is something that comes naturally to me but when I'm in a medical setting it becomes more intense. I know I cannot fix people's problems but I can be there to encourage them to allow God to be their strength. Sometimes we have to realize it does not always take words to do so. When people see us living out His strength in our own lives, they will realize it themselves. As they watch our response to tough situations they will realize we do not live in our own strength but in His strength. Paul's words in Philippians 4:13 were ones God gave me twenty-nine years ago when I was going through the MS diagnosis. I thought at the time He was telling me I had His physical strength but realized it is every aspect of life that I have His strength. Physical, mental, emotional, financial, and most of all spiritual strength is mine when I allow Him to live in and through me. Last night we watched the sunset driving down the highway. It always amazes me how God uses so many different colors to show the beauty of His creation. I could not get 'good' pictures with being in the car and even when we pulled over a couple times the pictures were not possible. The cool thing about it was I have the pictures etched in my mind. Each sunset is different just as each of us were created different. Sometimes due to weather there is no visible sunset yet each day has an ending and a beginning. We have a choice to make on how we will live each day. I was reminded yesterday of something Doc told me in his last weeks of life. I won a free picnic for us from Common Ground to be enjoyed at the waterfront. He was too weak to get out to do it so I parked and we sat in the truck and enjoyed it. He told me to make sure to never forget that day. We knew his time was getting closer to leaving and he told me to never forget to have fun in life. In the thirty plus years of marriage one of the biggest gifts he gave me was the knowledge that each day is a gift and we need to enjoy them. I am so thankful for this knowledge that I strive to put into practice. It does not mean each day is perfect or without pain but it does mean God desires to empower us to make each day the best it can be. We do not know what is ahead but when we know the One who does we are blessed in abundance. I am reminded of the song "Wait On You" that reminds me of the importance of waiting on God no matter what is happening in life. I cannot manipulate things to go my way but instead need to allow God to show His ways to me. 

I'm gonna wait on You
I'm gonna wait on You
I've tasted Your goodness
I'll trust in Your promise
I'm gonna wait on You

Dear Jesus, 
Thank You for the reminder I have Your physical, mental, emotional, financial, and most of all spiritual strength when I allow You to live in and through me! Thank You for the safe trip home and for the way You blessed me over these last couple of weeks! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude and thoughts. I pray for many going through difficult times to realize Your strength. Andy and his family with Katelyn's situation; Kaye and her family; Rachael; my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; Ashley Foor; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Katelyn; Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; Susan; and a dear friend awaiting an oncologist appointment. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam; Darryle and his family; and Janis' mother, I praise You for continued reconciliation for a father and his prodigal daughter. I pray for Melinda and Todd with all they are going through. Thank You for being My Strength! Amen.

No comments: