Monday, January 2, 2023

II Timothy 1:7 - "Fear Is A Liar"


I woke up multiple times during the night and prayed for Katelyn who is having surgery this morning for brain tumors. I prayed for wisdom for the doctors and comfort for the family. II Timothy 1:7 kept coming to my mind. I do not know how I would feel if I were a twenty year old facing cancer but I'm pretty sure I would be scared. I have never had a child go through cancer so I do not know what her parents are feeling but I'm sure their emotions are all over the place. This is one of those situations where the 'Why, God?' comes into play. What is the purpose of a young lady having cancer? That is a question that won't be answered on this earth but it is one that is asked by many people. The enemy tries to put fear upon us. God gives peace in the midst of the storms of life. The enemy tries to make us think negative thoughts. God prompts us to think positive ones. Last night as I was talking with a friend about a situation in their life I shared about Katelyn. Their response was their situation was nothing compared to hers. We can always look around and find someone going through something worse than what we are experiencing. God is there for all of us. All we have to do is allow Him into our life. He is there to comfort us in the hurtful times of life and to encourage us through them. He is there to love on us when we feel like we have no one. He is there to provide hope when life seems hopeless. Oh how I pray for more people to experience Him in this way. I pray for more people to know His love in a way that will blow them away. II Timothy 1:7 was written by Paul to Timothy while Paul was in prison. It is amazing to think about Paul's relationship with God. He was in prison yet he was encouraging Timothy to continue on with what God had put before him. Paul knew Timothy experienced fear and wanted him to realize it did not come from God. Fear is an emotion we all face but when we cry out to the Lord to take it away He will do so. He will empower us to love with His love when it seems impossible. He will empower us to stand up against the enemy when he comes knocking at our door. Matthew Henry wrote of this passage: 

God has not given us the spirit of fear, but the spirit of power, of courage and resolution, to meet difficulties and dangers; the spirit of love to him, which will carry us through opposition. And the spirit of a sound mind, quietness of mind. The Holy Spirit is not the author of a timid or cowardly disposition, or of slavish fears. We are likely to bear afflictions well, when we have strength and power from God to enable us to bear them. 

Praise His Holy Name for the knowledge God empowers us to stand strong in our faith during tough situations of life. He empowers us to love with His love. He empowers us to knock the enemy down when he tries to tear us apart. I am reminded this morning of a song Zach Williams sings called "Fear Is A Liar" and grateful for these words...

Fear he is a liar
He will take your breath
Stop you in your steps
Fear he is a liar
He will rob your rest
Steal your happiness
Cast your fear in the fire
Cause fear he is a liar

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for giving wisdom to the doctors with Katelyn's surgery today! Thank You for being with Andy and his family as they wait! Thank You for being with Rachael as she is faced with adjusting to her new life of widowhood! Thank You for being with a friend this morning who is dealing with a serious situation! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. May Your peace come down upon many facing difficult situations. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; Serena and her husband; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Katelyn; Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; and a dear friend awaiting an oncologist appointment. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam; Pastor Nancy; Pastor Don;  Darryle and his family; Janis' mother; and Sherry's mother, I praise You for continued reconciliation for a father and his prodigal daughter. I pray for Melinda and Todd with all they are going through. Thank You for less tingling! Thank You for being My Courage! Amen.

No comments: