Friday, April 29, 2022

Psalm 39 - "Weary Traveler"

The Lord took me to Psalm 39 this morning.  David wrote these words as a cry for help from the Lord to live as He desired of him. He asked the Lord to show him how long he had on this earth. I am thankful we do not know how long we have. We need to live each day as our last. We need to think of every breath we take here as our last so we will be more intentional in living as God desires of us. Sometimes I think about those who have left this earth and I wonder why I'm still here. What is my purpose for being here when others who did far more than me for the Lord have gone on? Why would God take someone like Doc who made such an impact on many lives and leave me? Of course, I do not have the answers to such questions but God knows what He is doing and I need to get better at living for Him. I need to adhere to David's words in verse six in The Passion TranslationWe live our lives like those living in shadows. All our activities and energies are spent for things that pass away. We gather, we hoard, we cling to our things, only to leave them all behind for who knows who. Stuff is just stuff. I pray my activities and energies are spent for eternal not temporal things. I pray my words, actions, thoughts, and attitude glorify God every day. When challenges arise, I pray His strength over me. When the enemy tries to confuse me, I pray God's clarity over me. When I begin to compare myself with others, I pray for words of encouragement to be spoken over me. When I feel overwhelmed with life, I pray His peace over me. I am so blessed by Matthew Henry's words of this Psalm.

Afflictions are sent to stir up prayer. If they have that effect, we may hope that God will hear our prayer. The believer expects weariness and ill treatment on his way to heaven; but he shall not stay here long : walking with God by faith, he goes forward on his journey, not diverted from his course, nor cast down by the difficulties he meets. How blessed it is to sit loose from things here below, that while going home to our Father's house, we may use the world as not abusing it! May we always look for that city, whose Builder and Maker is God.

I am reminded of the song "Weary Traveler" this morning. What a blessing to know we are not alone.

Weary traveller, restless soul
You were never meant to walk this road alone
It'll all be worth it so just hold on
Weary traveler, you won't be weary long

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for the prayers and words of encouragement from Marlene and for all that was accomplished yesterday! Thank You for the day ahead and whatever it holds! Cleanse me so You can fill me. May my words, actions, thoughts, and attitude glorify You in all I do and say. I pray for Baby Henry and his family as he is taken in for heart surgery. May You be so close to all. I praise You for improvement in Pastor Sam and ask for continued prayers for him and his family. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days. My Momma; Ben; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her Momma Shirley; Serena and her husband; Beth and her family; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Preacher Bill Watts; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Timmy; Amber; Heather; families in turmoil; Ms Savon's friend; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments... Doug and Gay; Patty's daughter Tracy; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousins; Shirley Jones; Debbie's husband Kelly; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Betty's husband; my friend with mesothelioma; Judy Link; Little Ivy; my friend with upcoming radiation; and Dorothy's grandson. I pray for: Jonathan whose mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor, Russ and his family, the Long Family, and Christina and her family. I pray for Larry Amstutz to have open doors as he seeks new employment. Thank You for continuing to be with Anna, Michael, Matt, and myself as we miss my Rickey being with us!  Thank You for being My Focus! Amen.

No comments: