Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Psalm 60; Ephesians 6:10-18; II Timothy 1:7 - "Battle Belongs"

 

I woke up thinking about someone I have been praying for that is going through spiritual warfare. It seems like this person is attacked by the enemy often. It reminded me of David in Psalm 60. The first five verses of this Psalm remind us when we receive our victory we need to not forget what it took to get there. We need to remember no matter what we go through God is greater and in His time will give us victory. Sometimes God allows the enemy in our lives to show us what we need. Him. Sometimes He waits to see how we will react to life's situations before He pulls us out of them. No matter what we need to put on the full armor of God every day. Paul teaches us in Ephesians 6:10-18 about our daily dressing to be ready and protected against spiritual battles. The Belt of Truth; the Breastplate of Righteousness; the Gospel of Peace; the Shield of Faith; the Helmet of Salvation; and the Sword of the Spirit. Another piece to be added is the act of prayer. Believers all have this armor ready to be used. Matthew Henry wrote about the last seven verses of Psalm 60:

If Christ be ours, all things, one way or another, shall be for our eternal good. The man who is a new creature in Christ, may rejoice in all the precious promises God has spoken in his holiness. His present privileges, and the sanctifying influences of the Spirit, are sure earnests of heavenly glory. David rejoices in conquering the neighbouring nations, which had been enemies to Israel. The Israel of God are through Christ more than conquerors. Though sometimes they think that the Lord has cast them off, yet he will bring them into the strong city at last. Faith in the promise will assure us that it is our Father's good pleasure to give us the kingdom: But we are not yet made complete conquerors, and no true believer will abuse these truths to indulge sloth, or vain confidence. Hope in God is the best principle of true courage, for what need those fear who have God on their side? All our victories are from him, and while those who willingly submit to our anointed King shall share his glories, all his foes shall be put under his feet.

When we feel like we cannot take anymore, we must remember God is always with us fighting our battles. He never leaves us. Nothing that comes our way is too big for our God. I love what Henry said, Hope in God is the best principle of true courage, for what need those fear who have God on their side? We need to not only put on the full armor of God but we need to grasp the hope we have in Him. We need to not allow the enemy to put fear upon us but need to stand in the empower of the Holy Spirit as Paul wrote of in II Timothy 1:7. Woo hoo! I am equipped no matter what is ahead today. I have on my full armor and am empowered by the Holy Spiirit. Woo hoo! The "Battle Belongs" to God not me.

And if you are for me, who can be against me? Yeah
For Jesus, there's nothing impossible for you
When all I see are the ashes, you see the beauty
Thank you God
When all I see is a cross, God, you see the empty tomb

So when I fight, I'll fight on my knees
With my hands lifted high
Oh God, the battle belongs to you
And every fear I lay at your feet
I'll sing through the night

Oh God, the battle belongs to you 

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the knowledge You are greater than anything that comes my way! Thank You for Your armor I put on every day to face whatever may come my way! Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for Rickey who encourages me so greatly through the good and 'tough' days of life! Thank You for the laughter he brings into my life! Thank You for a wonderful visit with Marion and her pain being less! I pray therapy for my Momma will lessen her pain too. Lord, I also pray for a friend going through some 'tough' days to allow You to empower her through them. Actually, I have a few friends in some 'tough' situations that I am praying for Your empowerment over. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life not only for them but for many others. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Dan; Scott; Pete and Delores; Steve; Melanie; a friend whose uncle is battling cancer; a friend going through issues with the cancer in her body; a friend who is having a procedure tomorrow and Chrissy's son who is having brain surgery tomorrow; many with COVID; two ladies with career issues; Mike, Alex, and Michele with recent losses; Little Ivy's family; Sharon Sebolt; a friend with aggressive brain cancer; Carrie and Chris; a young man in rehab with anger issues and another young man fighting addiction; and so many others. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. Thank You for stopping me from speaking yesterday in the store! I am pretty sure the words said at that time would not have been what You would have desired. Thank You for directing me with crafting this week's sermon! Lord, You are so awesome in all the ways You bless me. Thank You for being My Full Armor! Amen.

No comments: