Monday, August 28, 2017

John 16:13; Psalm 143:10; I Cor. 13:6 - "Closer"

I was woke up out of a dead sleep at 4:12AM to the words, "And the Spirit will lead you in truth and love." My first reaction was wondering if these words were Scripture. My second reaction was to check out my Bible to see what I could find. But I was so tired so I asked the Lord if I could go back to sleep for the couple hours I had left. I also asked Him to keep these words retained in my mind so I could check it out later when I got up. Thankfully, He did just that. When I went digging into my Bible, I did not find the exact words in one particular Scripture. But I did find some similar...

John 16:13 reads..."But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Psalm 143:10 reads..."Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground."

I Corinthians 13:6 reads..."Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth."

So what do these words mean for me? What does the Lord want me to receive from them? I know in John 16 He tells us He has to leave the earth so the Holy Spirit can come which indeed is what happened. Matthew Henry writes:

The Holy Spirit is our Guide, not only to show us the way, but to go with us by continued aids and influences. To be led into a truth is more than barely to know it; it is not only to have the notion of it in our heads, but the relish, and savour, and power of it in our hearts. He shall teach all truth, and keep back nothing profitable, for he will show things to come. All the gifts and graces of the Spirit, all the preaching, and all the writing of the apostles, under the influence of the Spirit, all the tongues, and miracles, were to glorify Christ. It behoves every one to ask, whether the Holy Spirit has begun a good work in his heart? 

We cannot have the Holy Spirit abide in us if we first do not die to self. What we want needs to be what He wants. The desires of our heart must line up with what He desires for us. True love is only found in complete truth. He is love and He is truth. We cannot have pure love in our lives without having pure truth. There are many people today who 'think' they are OK with the Lord but in fact they are living a lie. They are holding onto things such as hurt from another's words, bad habits, disappointments of life, etc. Such things cause separation from God. He desires us to let go of such things and allow Him to heal us completely. This is easier said than done but as Doc pointed out again yesterday it is the only way to live. We cannot expect the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 6:13) if we don't live in the Spirit. We cannot complain about the enemy stealing our joy when we aren't living in the Spirit. Our life is a living book for all who see/hear us to read. We have a choice to make on whether we want people to see a worldly person or a godly person. There is only one way to walk and that is with the Holy Spirit as our Guide. I choose to walk in truth and love with Him. That does not mean I don't mess up from time to time but thankfully His grace is there to pick me up.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for these words You gave me in the wee hours of morning. Thank You for the retention of them when I went back to sleep. Oh how I pray for more people to walk in Your Spirit. Life is so different once we die to self. Father, this morning I pray for a cleansing in my spirit of anything not of You. I pray for You to become more in and through me so people will see and hear You instead of me. Lord, I have some people going through my mind who need to be purified in their spirit. Some are hanging onto hurtful things from the past...would You give them what they need to completely let go of those things? How I would love to see more people walk in Your Spirit. Thank You Jesus for being My Spirit. Amen.

No comments: