Sunday, March 5, 2017

Colossians 3:23; I Peter 5 - "Be Thou My Vision"


In my class this week we are studying the duties of a shepherd. There was one sentence Bruce Petersen wrote which brought back fond memories. “Shepherds function as spiritual midwives when new lambs are born.” I love the word picture in this statement. One of my experiences over the years in ministry was being a doula (midwife helper) for two children’s births of a family in our church. As I coached Debbie throughout the labor process I shared scripture with her and prayed. When the babies were born, I watched in awe as the other children saw their new baby brother. In the days following the births I took a meal to the family, visited and helped with the children. I realize this is not something everyone does but I am grateful for the opportunity. Shepherds take on different roles in the church but the most important role is to love on people. The best gift a shepherd can give their flock is to follow Christ's example in what they do. Peter gives direction to all shepherds in I Peter 5. He advises them to...
  • care for their flock willingly
  • feed them
  • lead by example
  • lead with humility
  • be on guard for attacks by the enemy
  • trust the Lord
  • know they are not alone
These are all pieces of good advice shepherds need to remember. There are times in ministry when one feels like they are at the end of their rope. Many times this is because they are doing things on their own strength instead of praying for God's will. There are some nights that are too short and some days that are too long. But no one is alone. God is always there to encourage. The important thing to remember is keeping Him as our vision. In the hymn "Be Thou My Vision" it gives us the word picture of Him being our best thought...our presence...our light. When He is our vision, we see the world through His eyes. This causes us to love with His love. When He is our vision we focus less on what we want in order to help others. We also are more concerned with pleasing God than pleasing people. He gave me Colossians 3:23 in the very early time of our pastorate in Willard. I was trying to be Super Woman and do everything everyone wanted. He reminded me people are not who I am to please. He is. As I serve others, I need to do it with a cheerful heart. This can be hard when dealing with crabby people but they are not what matters. His will is what will be bring about Him being glorified. I received such freedom when I quit trying to please others. This is not just for pastors but for everyone.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders from Your Word this morning. Thank You for giving clear direction on the duties of a shepherd. Thank You for modeling this type of love for others. Lord, today my heart aches for pastors who will get into the pulpit without allowing You to infill them with Your Holy Spirit. It breaks for pastors who are worn down from trying to please people instead of You. I pray for a few pastors who don't have a church at this time to minister in. I pray for their spiritual tanks to be filled up during this break. I pray for You to become so much more real to them and their spouses. I pray for the pastor's spouse who recently lost their pastor/spouse. I pray for those on the road who minister to many. Most of all I pray for You to be glorified from all pulpits today. Lord, I pray for more of Your traits to show through in me. I pray for Your words, action, vision and attitude to be mine today. Thank You Jesus for being My Good Shepherd. Amen.

No comments: