Monday, July 24, 2023

Psalm 19 - "The More I Seek You"

The Lord took me to Psalm 19 this morning. This Psalm is rich in David giving glory to God as He writes of God's holiness. It begins with verse one describing how God is seen in the beauty of the skies. This picture was taken on the way from the cabin to district assembly last week. It does not do justice to what was seen in person. The colors of the sky were magnificent. That is how sunrises and sunsets are in person. Sometimes they are beyond words to describe. That is exactly how it is with God. I have no words at times with how His love is lavishly poured out on me. Psalm 19:7-10 speaks about how God's Word is full of wisdom. It reads in the Voice:

The Eternal’s law is perfect,
    turning lives around.
His words are reliable and true,
    instilling wisdom to open minds.
The Eternal’s directions are correct,
    giving satisfaction to the heart.
God’s commandments are clear,
    lending clarity to the eyes.
The awe of the Eternal is clean,
    sustaining for all of eternity.
The Eternal’s decisions are sound;
    they are right through and through.
10 They are worth more than gold—
    even more than abundant, pure gold.
They are sweeter to the tongue than honey
    or the drippings of the honeycomb.

Matthew Henry writes of these verses: The commandments of the Lord are pure, holy, just, and good. By them we discover our need of a Saviour; and then learn how to adorn his gospel. They are the means which the Holy Spirit uses in enlightening the eyes; they bring us to a sight and sense of our sin and misery, and direct us in the way of duty. The fear of the Lord, that is, true religion and godliness, is clean, it will cleanse our way; and it endureth for ever. The ceremonial law is long since done away, but the law concerning the fear of God is ever the same. The judgments of the Lord, his precepts, are true; they are righteous, and they are so altogether; there is no unrighteousness in any of them. 

Verse eleven reads: In addition to all that has been said, Your servant will find, hidden in Your commandments, both a strong warning and a great reward for keeping them. When we live as God desires, we have the hope of eternal life with Him. That is my goal in life. I preached yesterday on holiness. We cannot be perfect as Jesus was while He was on this earth but the more we strive to live Christ-like the more successful we will be. There was one sentence in yesterday’s Sunday School lesson that stuck out to me. "A holy person avoids ongoing contamination with that which is morally unclean." There have been times in my life when I was being contaminated by things not of God. I praise Him for opening my eyes to such times, accepting my repentance, and giving me a clean slate to continue on in life. He is such a wonderful Father who loves us even in times of discipline. We must remember to repent of not only those sins we knowingly commit but also those we unknowingly commit. David speaks of these in verse twelve. I love the encouraging words found in the last verse of this Psalm. Verse fourteen reads: May the words that come out of my mouth and the musings of my heart meet with Your gracious approval, O Eternal, my Rock, O Eternal, my Redeemer. Every morning I ask Him to cleanse me so people will see/hear Him through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. The more I live in this manner the more the desires of His heart will be met. I have the song "The More I Seek You" on my mind this morning...

The more I seek you
The more I find you
The more I find you
The more I love you
I want to sit at your feet
Drink from the cup in your hand
Lay back against you and breathe, feel your heart beat
This love is so deep, its more than I can stand
I melt in your peace, its overwhelming

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with: Doug teaching Sunday School; church; lunch with Carol, Andy, and Nick; and dinner with Billy, Sierra, and the children! Thank You for the day ahead with whatever You have in store for us! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray blessings over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friend; David; and Damon. I pray for: Dave and Carol as he starts treatments; Dan; the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam. I pray for Sue Wolfe as she adjusts to her first days of being a widow. Thank You for being My Presence! Amen.



No comments: