Sunday, July 30, 2023

I Peter 2:9 - "Peace Be Still"

Last night before falling asleep I prayed for pastors. God had me pray for two specific ones and told me to send a message to them. He also had me pray for pastors who need encouraged. It seems like this is a common theme for my prayers for pastors. I was reminded last night of a few times God gave me specific requests that were hard to pray for. They were things I had no way of knowing other than the Holy Spirit. I shared with Doug sometimes when that happens it is hard. They are things I do not want to know but God chooses me to pray. The word 'chosen' is in my sermon today. Eugene Petersen paraphrases I Peter 2:9 in The Message: You are the ones chosen by God . . . from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted. Most of us spend our entire lives trying to earn acceptance. We seek it from our parents, peers, partners. We seek acceptance from the people we respect and the people we envy. Our desire to be accepted influences the kind of clothes we wear, the kind of car we drive, the kind of house we buy, and even the career we choose. We are driven by acceptance because it makes us feel good. It encourages us when we know someone has chosen and accepted us. The ultimate feeling of worth comes from being chosen and accepted by God. He chooses us to be His children. This gives us reason to praise Him. When we set Christ as our Cornerstone such as what Peter writes of in the beginning of the chapter, we will live as He desires. As we live in this manner we will fulfill the purpose He has for our life. Woo hoo! I was thinking this morning about how life can be challenging yet God is always here for us. He provides exactly what we need. Physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, in relationships, and most of all spiritually. He provides peace in the midst of the storms of life that make no sense. He encourages us greatly to keep going when we feel like we can't put one foot in front of another. "Peace Be Still" is playing and blessing me in abundance...

Peace be still
Say the word and I will
Set my feet upon the sea
Till I'm dancing in the deep
Peace be still
You are here so it is well
Even when my eyes can't see
I will trust the voice that speaks

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessing of yesterday with Doug and I having safe travel in the torrential rain! Thank You for the blessings ahead today! I love Sundays and I know I will enjoy our "Christmas In July" today! Thank You for the privilege to pray for pastors last night before falling asleep, during the night, and again this morning. May we all feel Your empowerment to preach what You desire. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. Thank You for being with many going through difficult days. I pray they will say Peace be still today. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friend; David; and Damon. I pray for: Dave and Carol as he starts treatments; Dan; the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being close to Doug's family with the loss of his cousin! Thank You for being My Cornerstone! Amen.

No comments: