Tuesday, July 12, 2022

II Timothy 1:7 - "Things That I'm Afraid Of"


Yesterday I was in the car twice and both times the song "Things That I'm Afraid Of" came on the radio. I looked up the lyrics and thought about how many people have great fears in life. Fears of not being good enough, their loved one dying, failure as a spouse or as a parent, failure of failing God, etc. We do not have to fear anything but instead need to stand in God's strength. I have been told that is easier said than done. That is true at times but the more we lean into God the more we have His peace. This song begins with these words...

When I am shaking
And my heart's pounding
You always take me
And make me lay down in
Peaceful fields where
I can clear my head

I find His peace out in nature so often when I am struggling. I go to the water front and walk before going to an appointment such as for my annual mammogram. When I feel overwhelmed with life, I will go sit on the beach at Hunting Island. When I get to the end of a trying day, I drive over to my favorite place to see the sunset. God speaks to me through nature. Paul wrote to Timothy in II Timothy 1 about how God empowers us to be strong through our faith. He is with us no matter what is happening in life. There is no better place than in His presence. We must remember the only way to feel His presence is to allow Him to be Who He desires to be in our life. Once again, that is something that can be hard to accomplish because we have to die to self. The ways of the world pull us into the world instead of allowing us to be in His presence. The thing we must remember is God is bigger than the world. He is bigger than the enemy. In this song the writer tells us...

I walked through the valley of shadows
And it scared me half to death
But You're with me everywhere I go
So I don't give up yet
My fear would surely kill me
If I didn't know the truth
The things that I'm afraid of are afraid of You

This is definitely something we need to remember when the enemy comes knocking. Fear comes from the enemy not from God. I have never experienced true anxiety so I may not understand it in its fullness but I do know God understands everything. He is always with us and wants to stretch our faith through difficult times in life. He desires for us to lean into Him so we can not only hear His voice but walk in obedience to Him. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for rest yesterday and for the day ahead! Thank You for continuing to heal my body from the fall! Thank You for Carol Goodwin who brought over homemade chicken and noodles! Thank You for everyone who checked on my yesterday! You are such an awesome God in the way You encourage me through songs, Scripture, and people. This song "Things That I'm Afraid Of" reminds me You are always with me and for that I am grateful. Paul's words in II Timothy 1:7 encourage me greatly to stand in Your strength. Woo hoo! I pray for many going through difficult days to be in a relationship with You where they too can stand in Your strength. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Beth; Nancy; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; Marion; some young ladies with anxiety; Chrissy; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Rhonda; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Preacher Bill Watts; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Timmy; Amber; families in turmoil; Cyndi; Doug and Gay; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Sharon's daughter Ashley; Chrissy's cousins; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; my friend with mesothelioma; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Alex's niece; a young girl in our community; and a lady whose breast cancer has returned. I pray for: the Long Family, Vickie's son Jim, and Russ. Thank You for continued strength for Baby Henry! Lord, may You be so near to those with prodigals. Cleanse me so You can fill me with more of You. Thank You for being My Strength! Amen.  

No comments: