Sunday, July 10, 2022

Hebrews 10 - "Sunday Sermons"


I prayed before going to sleep, during the night, and again this morning for pastors. I was talking with one recently that changed the set-up of their sanctuary because of low attendance. Another one I talked to shared they cancelled summer activities due to low attendance. Another one cancelled their planned VBS for the lack of registration. These things hurt my heart. It also hurts my heart to hear the reasons why people are not participating in church activities. Everyone needs to get away for family time but when people allow things to take them away from church week after week it becomes a habit. It does not take going to church to be a Christian but we all need the fellowship and encouragement of other believers. We need to be studying the Word with others so we can gain insight. We need to hear sermons to receive from the Lord what He has for us. I am so grateful for today's technology so I can listen to other preachers. I am grateful for people who are faithful in attendance to church activities. I am reminded this morning of a song Anne Wilson sings called "Sunday Sermons" and blessed for being brought up in church.

Every one of those Sunday sermons
Every time that choir would sing
I could hear my Savior calling, telling me how much He loves me
No matter what the world throws at me
I know His word is true
It all started with heart stirring, spirit moving Sunday Sermons
Devil gonna try and take me out of that church
But you can't take the church out of me

I am reminded of the words in Hebrews 10 that encourage us to not allow the world to pull us away from meeting together as a church body. Fellowship with one another is so important. It is in such times we can encourage one another. The more we are together the more we will grow strong in our faith as a church body. When one is missing, it is like a body part missing. Paul wrote of the importance of the body of Christ in I Corinthians 12, Romans 12, and Ephesians 4 to name a few. A church body is only as strong as the members including the pastor. If pastors desire to have a strong church, they must be spiritually strong themselves.

Dear Jesus, This morning I pray for not only myself but for all pastors who will be in the pulpit today to preach what God desires and for people to be in services to receive what God has for them. I pray for You to be greater than the ways of the world in people's hearts. May people wake with the desire to be in church. May they follow through with what You lay on their hearts. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. I pray for physical, mental, emotional, financial, and most of all spiritual strength not only for myself but for many going through 'tough' days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Beth; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; Marion; some young ladies with anxiety; Chrissy; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Rhonda; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Preacher Bill Watts; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Timmy; Amber; families in turmoil; Cyndi; Doug and Gay; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Sharon's daughter Ashley; Chrissy's cousins; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; my friend with mesothelioma; Little Ivy; and Little Judson. I pray for: the Long Family, Vickie's son Jim, and Russ. Thank You for continued strength for Baby Henry! Lord, may You be so near to those with prodigals. Thank You for being My Protector! Amen.  

No comments: