Friday, November 5, 2021

Psalm 23 - "Come What May"



Last night was a 'tough' night where I fell asleep right away but then was awake several times. It seems to always happen when I have the clock set to get up to do something out of my norm. Every time I was awake "Come What May" that We Are Messengers sings was going through my mind. I read this about the song:

“Come What May” declares that the character of God is unchanging regardless of our circumstances. “In the past year, we’ve all collectively been forced to concede that, despite our illusions and devises, we do not get to control the world around us,” shares front man Darren Mulligan. “‘Come What May’ is a song that not only acknowledges this reality, but revels in the fact that we have a God that loves us and is worthy of our faith, hope, and trust no matter what circumstances we are facing. It’s a celebration of freedom of not having to fabricate a false reality to ourselves and those around us and a declaration of the goodness of God.”

There are a lot of people in this world who think they are in control of their life. The enemy makes us believe such lies to keep us away from God. The truth is God is in control of all aspects of life. He is in control of the 'good' days and the 'tough' days. I am grateful for this knowledge. The song goes...

There is deep joy that You give to me
Where hurt meets the healing is a holy thing
I see goodness, Your goodness
In all things

In every high, in every low
On mountaintops, down broken roads
You're still my rock, my hope remains
I'll rest in the arms of Jesus
Come what may

It does not make sense to the world but it makes sense to me how God can take hurtful times and turn them into joyful ones. He takes 'hard' times and takes our faith deeper. The purpose of 'hard' times is to draw us closer to Him. The song continues with the words from Psalm 23.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
He makes me lie down in green pastures
The Lord is my shepherd, leads me to still waters
And He restores my soul

Woo hoo! What a blessing to have my Heavenly Father in control of every aspect of my life. This knowledge gives me confidence that no matter what happens He is with me. "Come What May" is all about having confidence in a life with Him. Matthew Henry writes of this Psalm:

"The Lord is my shepherd." In these words, the believer is taught to express his satisfaction in the care of the great Pastor of the universe, the Redeemer and Preserver of men. With joy he reflects that he has a shepherd, and that shepherd is Jehovah. A flock of sheep, gentle and harmless, feeding in verdant pastures, under the care of a skilful, watchful, and tender shepherd, forms an emblem of believers brought back to the Shepherd of their souls. The greatest abundance is but a dry pasture to a wicked man, who relishes in it only what pleases the senses; but to a godly man, who by faith tastes the goodness of God in all his enjoyments, though he has but little of the world, it is a green pasture. The Lord gives quiet and contentment in the mind, whatever the lot is. Are we blessed with the green pastures of the ordinances, let us not think it enough to pass through them, but let us abide in them. The consolations of the Holy Spirit are the still waters by which the saints are led; the streams which flow from the Fountain of living waters. Those only are led by the still waters of comfort, who walk in the paths of righteousness. The way of duty is the truly pleasant way. The work of righteousness in peace. In these paths we cannot walk, unless. God lead us into them, and lead us on in them. Discontent and distrust proceed from unbelief; an unsteady walk is the consequence: let us then simply trust our Shepherd's care, and hearken to his voice. 

Dear Jesus, Thank You for this song and Scripture that encourage me to allow You to be who You desire to be in my life! Thank You for loving me so greatly! Thank You for going before me today as I travel! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You shine brightly through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. May I be the beacon of light You have called me to be. I pray blessings over Cade and Lauren as they exchange their vows. May You continue to be the center of their lives. I pray peace over many going through 'tough' days. Some are struggling with physical needs. Others are struggling with mental, emotional, financial, and spiritual needs. May all realize Your peace no matter what struggle they are going through. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Tony and Madeline; Steve; Cait; Tim; Mike; Norma Hall; Melanie; Terri Hall; Carrie; Elizabeth; Little Ivy's family; Little Jensen that needs a heart; many with COVID; Rickey's singing partner Tim; Joni; Wanda; Sharon Sebolt; the Pottenger Family; Simone; Serena's husband; Tim and Kathy Kilgore; Chrissy and her family; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a teen in a volatile home situation; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; and many others. I praise You for the way You are blessing: Ms Savon with all she is going through; Donna and her husband as they regain strength; healing in Laurie's back; Pastor Kevin's return to his secular job; Gay and Doug as they finish his radiation treatments; and Pastor Steve as he moves back into pastoral ministry. Thank You for the way You use Rickey to encourage me especially on 'tough' days! Thank You for being My Shepherd! Amen.

No comments: