Friday, November 12, 2021

John 16 - "Breathe"

One of the times I was awake during the night I wondered what day it was. That happens frequently and it drives me crazy. Sundays and Wednesdays are church days so those I usually know but the other days I have to stop and think about. I chuckled as I thought about how God must think I am losing my mind. How can one not know what day of the week it is let alone know the date? Then I thought about how chaotic life can be. I am thankful it is not as chaotic as it used to be but it still has it's moments. God is not a God of chaos. He is a God of peace. He tried to prepare His disciples for what was ahead in John 16. He spoke of how they needed to not live in the world but in Him during their time on this earth. We can learn from this chapter on how we are to live. The more we strive to live doing His business instead of in the busyness of the world the more we will realize His peace. The more we strive to be Christ-like the more we will live it. God desires us to live in obedience to His will. He desires us to seek His ways every day of our life. The disciples walked with Him in person yet still were confused from time to time on what He was saying. There are times in our life where we may not fully understand what He is telling us but if we continue to seek Him we will have His peace in the process. His peace is realized in the midst of the storms of life when we lean into HIm. Matthew Henry wrote:

Peace in Christ is the only true peace, in him alone believers have it. Through him we have peace with God, and so in him we have peace in our own minds. We ought to be encouraged, because Christ has overcome the world before us. But while we think we stand, let us take heed lest we fall. We know not how we should act if brought into temptation; let us watch and pray without ceasing, that we may not be left to ourselves.

Prayer is key to living in peace instead of chaos. People will disappoint us but God never does. People will say and do things in their flesh that may tear our heart to pieces yet God never hurts us. God loves us and desires for us to live in His peace. I'm reminded this morning of a song called "Breathe"...

Breathe, just breathe
Come and rest at my feet
And be, just be
Chaos calls but all you really need

Is to take it in, fill your lungs
The peace of God that overcomes
Just breathe (just breathe)
let your weary spirit rest
Lay down what's good and find what's best
Just breathe (just breathe)

Dear Jesus, Thank You for such a fun day yesterday with the ladies at the Christmas show, shopping, eating too much...I so enjoyed myself! Thank You for Rickey's news that Tim was moved out of ICU! Thank You for the laughter he brings me throughout the day! Thank You for the beautiful weather! Seventy-five and sunny is perfect! As I sit hear listening to the waves of the ocean I once again thank You for bringing me to South Carolina. Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May all see/hear You today through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. May all who are going through 'tough' days realize Your peace. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Steve; Pete and Delores; Tony and Madelines; Cait; Tim; Mike; Norma Hall; Carrie; Little Ivy's family; Little Jensen who needs a heart; many with COVID; Joni; Wanda; Sharon Sebolt; Pottenger Famly; Simone; Serena's husband; Tim and Kathy Kilgore; Chrissy and her family; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a teen in a volatile home situation; a husband/father separated from his wife; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; and many others. I pray special prayers over Tisha and her family with her Daddy hospitalized. I pray Your strength over Gay and Doug as they go through his journey with 'C'. I pray for many dealing with chaos in their life to allow You to be the peace You desire for them. Thank You for being My Peace! Amen.

No comments: