Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Psalm 31; Matthew 20 - "Be Alright"


Last night Sister Joyce encouraged us to read Psalm 31. I had already gone to bed but was struggling with going to sleep when I listened to her. I read this Psalm in different versions and was encouraged by it just as God encouraged her through it. The last verse sums the just of this Psalm up perfectly. 

So cheer up! Take courage, all you who love him. Wait for him to break through for you, all who trust in him! (TPT)

Be brave. Be strong. Don’t give up. Expect God to get here soon. (MSG)

All you who put your hope in the Lord be strong and brave. (ICB) 

There are seasons of life when we feel like our hearts are breaking into pieces and we can't take one more thing. Hurt after hurt seems to continue to happen. The 'junk' of life is overwhelming to the point where we just want to cry out to the Lord to take us out of our misery. As I studied for tonight's Bible lesson on Matthew 20 I came upon a truth that hit home.  It read in the Beacon Bible Commentary, "Those who would be closest to Christ must suffer the most." These words were in regard to 'the cup' Jesus spoke of when the mother of Zebedee's sons asked for her them to be on each side of Him in heaven. Williams wrote, "Here the cup signifies the internal mental and spiritual sufferings which Christ endured." We will never go through what Jesus went through on the cross in His death but we do have suffering on this earth. Sometimes we look around and see people who seem to have more suffering than others. According to Beacon that occurs when one is close in relationship with Christ. Does that make sense? How could a loving Father allow His children to go through such hurt? It is just like what parents on earth need to do with their children. We must allow them to make mistakes so they can learn from them. We must allow them to hurt so they will turn to their Heavenly Father as they realize they cannot do life on their own strength. We must allow them to think for themselves with the direction of their Heavenly Father. Suffering is a part of life that may not be 'fun' but it is necessary. When the 'ugly' tears fall, they are cleansing. I am reminded of the words to the song "Be Alright" this morning...

Father, You say everything is gonna be alright
But my circumstances say I won't last through the night
I need your word to hold me now need you to pull me through
I need miracle, a breakthrough, I need you

They say you hold the whole universe in your hand
But my world's falling apart like it's made of sand
Am I small enough to slip through the cracks?
Can you take my broken pieces and put them back

Give me faith to believe that you are on my side
Open my eyes to see You working in my life
Let the past remind me You never fail
Tell my soul "it is well"

Yes! Life will "Be Alright" when we allow Him to lead us. It will "Be Alright" when we put Him first. I am so thankful for the way He encourages me through the 'tough' days of life. Praise His Holy Name! The 'secret' to get through life is found in Psalm 31:14. It reads in the International Children's Bible, Lord, I trust you. I have said, “You are my God.” Yes! Trust is the key to life!

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You for Cait and Alex taking me out to breakfast and shopping, safety on the roads as I went to see Marion, her being in less pain, Rickey's words of encouragement when I was feeling down, and Joyce's words last night! Thank You for all the ways You shower me with Your love! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You flow from my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a new, different way. May people see/hear You instead of me. Lord, when life hurts I pray for Your empowerment in abundance. May I always remember it will "Be Alright" no matter what the circumstances. I pray the same for many going through 'tough' days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Dan; Pete and Delores; Ben and Colleen; Ofie; Scott; Norma; Nada; Kayla; Joyce; Sharon Sebolt; many with COVID and the families dealing with deaths from it; Ms Savon and Mr John; Gay and Doug; Rick McCartney; Carrie and Chris; Little Ivy's family; a young man in rehab for anger issues and another young man hospitalized for addiction; a friend whose uncle has cancer; a young Momma waiting on test results of her unborn baby; and so many others. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life. Thank You for being My Hope! Amen.

No comments: