Sunday, September 12, 2021

Psalm 17 - "Be Alright"

 

Psalm 17 is a prayer David wrote in a time he felt overwhelmed by life. In The Passion Translation it is divided into three parts. "Hear Me! Hide Me! Help Me!" This prayer is one we all have prayed in a similar fashion from time to time. There are times in life when we feel like the enemy is winning. We must remember no matter how much it feels like that he cannot win unless we allow him. He cannot even be in our life unless we give him an open door. We must stand strong against his antics and stand firm in our faith. God never leaves us. He never leaves us to face the enemy alone. What the enemy tries to tear down God is there to rebuild. When the enemy tries to steal our joy, God is there to fill us up. I took this picture of a turtle a few months ago. He has many enemies in life that try to kill him. I think about how the turtle hides inside its shell for protection. They have a natural instinct to do so. We humans have a natural instinct to lean into God for protection. Some people do this more so than others. We can 'hide' in God to feel protected. Psalm 17:8-9 reads in The Passion Translation:

Protect me from harm;
    keep an eye on me as you would a child
    who is reflected in the twinkling of your eye.
    Yes, hide me within the shelter of your embrace,
    under your outstretched wings.
Protect me there from all my foes.
    For there are many who surround my soul
    to completely destroy me.

Woo hoo! God is always with us to protect us. His love is greater than anything this world can bring upon us. All we have to do is allow Him to work in and through us so we can experience His love to the fullest. Last night before going to sleep, throughout the night, and again this morning I prayed for pastors. There are so many going through 'tough' days and need reminded God is still with them. COVID is effecting many churches in negative ways. The enemy is having a hay day with keeping people away from church services. It is easier to stay home and watch on-line than go to church. As a pastor, there are decisions to make that are ones that never had to be made before. I remember Doc fretting over whether to have church or not when the snow was bad in Ohio. Here in South Carolina it is hurricanes that cause such decisions. No matter what the reason is for such decisions we must remember we do not have to make them on our own. We can do as David and pray "Hear Me! Hide Me! Help Me!" We also can remember no matter what the circumstances of life hold it will "Be Alright"...

Father, You say everything is gonna be alright
But my circumstances say I won't last through the night
I need your word to hold me now need you to pull me through
I need miracle, a breakthrough, I need you

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the opportunities You provided me yesterday to love with Your love and the ones ahead today! Thank You for going before every pastor today and giving them confidence no matter what their situation! Father, I prayed for pastors before going to bed, during the night, and again this morning. i know of some specific situations that need Your strength in a mighty way. May we all pray as David "Hear Me! Hide Me! Help Me!" May we all realize Your empowerment as we lead Your church. May we not give into the antics of the enemy but instead stand in Your empowerment. Lord, these are 'tough' days for many. I think You for not only getting me through this last year but being glorified through it. When I awoke this morning, I realized it was one year ago today we had Doc's Celebration of Life Service here in South Carolina. You have surrounded me with so many loving people and I know You will continue to do so. Yesterday I felt different going back to Coffin Point beach. I felt a closeness to him and the peace You gave me last week at the celebration came back in abundance. Woo hoo! I needed reminded of Your peace as I deal with a situation in my life. Thank You! I pray Your peace over many going through 'tough' days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Steve; Ofie; Scott; Melanie; Norma; Vicki, Sharon Sebolt; Marlene's Momma; Mike and his family; Little Ivy's Family; Ms Savon; Carrie and Chris; a young man in rehab for anger issues and another one for addiction; some young ladies with anxiety; and so many others. I pray for continued healing for: Dan; Pete and Delores; Chrissy and her son; Rick McCartney; Roger and Kathy; Bill Watts; and many others who are recuperating from physical issues. I pray You will be close to Rickey today with whatever his day holds. I sure do miss doing life with him when we are apart. Thank You for bringing him into my life! Cleanse me so You can fill me with more of You! Thank You for being who You are in my life! Thank You for being My Prayer! Amen.

No comments: