Thursday, September 30, 2021

Numbers 6:24-26; Romans 12:1-2; I Peter 1:13-16 - "Holiness Is What I Long For"

 


I woke up with Numbers 6:24-26 in a text from a friend. God directed Aaron and his sons to speak these words over the people of Israel. We need to speak life over people today. There are so many hurting people in this world. Some are hurting because of choices they made and others are hurting over choices others made. No matter what the hurt the reason it is real. Hurt can push people into places they would not normally go. It can push people to make 'bad' decisions that will affect them the rest of their lives. It also can put hurtful words into their mouths. 'Hurting people hurt people' is so true. I went to bed early last night after feeling like I could not continue. I asked God to use rest to restore my body. I am thankful for the day ahead with nothing on the calendar but I do not want to miss any opportunities He has for me. I accept this blessing my friend sent this morning. I desire to not only be blessed but to be a blessing. Earlier in Numbers 6 there was discussion about the requirements for those who took the Nazarite vow. The purpose of taking such a vow was to surrender totally to God. The Hebrew word nazir means 'to be separated or consecrated.' The desire of my heart is to live a life of obedience to Him by walking in His will. It is the way I have chosen to do life. Am I always successful? No because I am human. I make mistakes. But as I told my Bible study group last night the more we strive to be Christ-like the more we will succeed. Romans 12:1-2 were written by Paul to encourage all how to live. Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. These verses go hand-in-hand with the Nazarite vow. Both show the need to be separated from the world and be consecrated to God. We need to be holy people if we truly desire to live as He desires of us. The words of I Peter 1 come to my mind this morning. Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. As obedient children, do not conformto the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy." Yes! I know my goal for life is to spend eternity with Him. I also know the only way for that to happen is to live in His will while on this earth.

Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what You want from me, from me…

Dear Jesus, Thank You seems like such inadequate words for the way You blessed me this morning through a text from a friend! You knew what I needed and provided. May she be blessed in abundance today. I pray blessings over my day ahead. You know I am struggling physically which probably is caused by a bit of emotional 'junk' in life. You also know what I need and will provide. MS is a tricky disease that can have issues not just when I overdo physically but when emotionally I am taxed. I am so grateful for the knowledge You are greater than MS! Woo hoo! I pray that same knowledge over many going through difficult situations. May You be greater than the hurts of life. When people say things to hurt us, may Your love soothe us and flow from us. When it seems like we can't take another 'bad' thing, may You remind us of all the blessings we have in life. Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You flow from my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today even if I don't get out of bed. May You be so real to so many struggling with life. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Steve; Tony and Madeline; the Pottenger Family; the Edwards Family; the Garrison Family; Little Ivy's Family; Gay and Doug; many with COVID; Ms Savon; Norma Hall; Kayla; Sharon Sebolt; William Younger and his family; Melanie; Frank who is having major surgery to remove cancer; Ed with stage 4 cancer; Rachael and Bill Watts; Stacy as she recuperates from surgery; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues and another just released with addiction issues; a friend who needs protection in a hostile workplace; ones who are dealing with verbal attacks from 'friends' and loved ones; four year old Jensen who needs a heart transplant; Joan; Ashley who is going through cancer testing; a friend's niece undergoing radiation for stage 1 breast cancer; and so many others. Thank You for a good doctor appointment for my Momma yesterday! Thank You for the garden tools Jerry donated to the church! Thank You for Scott having good scan results! Thank You for going before Rickey and giving him safety as he travels today for lessons! Thank You for our time of laughter last night over the phone! Thank You for being My Holiness! Amen.

No comments: