Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Psalm 42 - "Be Alright"

The Lord took me to Psalm 42 this morning. My heart is breaking for so many people who are going through 'tough' days. I pray they will realize it is through such days that our faith goes deeper. Verses seven and eight in The Message reads: 

Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids. Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers crash and crush me. Then God promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night! My life is God’s prayer.

In The Passage Translation verse seven reads:

My deep need calls out to the deep kindness of your love.
    Your waterfall of weeping sent waves of sorrow
    over my soul, carrying me away,
    cascading over me like a thundering cataract.

Deep calls to deep (NIV)...chaos calls to chaos (MESSAGE)...My deep need calls out to the deep kindness of your love (TPT). No matter what translation is read the meaning is the same. When we get into the depth of 'tough' days, God is there in a more prominent way. As we live in His presence we will be comforted and strengthened. Matthew Henry wrote:

He was overpowered and overwhelmed with a deluge of grief, like that of the old world, when the windows of heaven were opened and the fountains of the great deep were broken up. Or it is an allusion to a ship at sea in a great storm, tossed by the roaring waves, which go over it (Psalm 107:25). Whatever waves and billows of affliction go over us at any time we must call them God’s waves and his billows, that we may humble ourselves under his mighty hand, and may encourage ourselves to hope that though we be threatened we shall not be ruined; for the waves and billows are under a divine check. The Lord on high is mightier than the noise of these many waters... After the storm there will come a calm, and the prospect of this supported him when deep called unto deep.

Yes! I have been through many storms and God has been right there with me. I wish more people would realize He has not left them but instead needs them to cry out to Him and accept His help. I know of some right now that are feeling like He has left them as the Psalmist wrote in verse three. I pray they will realize all is takes is completely focusing on Him and soon they will realize His strength. Verse five is repeated in verse eleven. It reads in The Message

Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?
    Why are you crying the blues?
Fix my eyes on God—
    soon I’ll be praising again.
He puts a smile on my face.
    He’s my God.


Yes! He makes everything alright. It may not happen in the timing we desire but it will happen as we focus on Him. It may not happen in the manner we desire but it will happen as we focus on Him. People may try to put doubts in our minds but as long as we focus on Him everything will "Be Alright."


Through my faith and my doubting
I know one thing for sure
His word is unfailing
His promise secure


Dear Jesus,

Thank You for this Scripture and song that remind me to pray for so many going through 'tough' days! I pray they will realize victory comes through staying focused on You. I pray peace in the midst of the storms they are experiencing in life. But most of all I pray for them to lean into You to realize such peace. May You be greater than the hurts of life. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Dan; Scott; Tony and Madeline; Chris and Carrie; Donna, Vicki, and Mike with recent losses; Norma; Gay and Doug; Ms Savon; Little Ivy and her family; many with COVID; Ed with stage 4 cancer; a young man in rehab for anger issues and another young man recently released; Sharon Sebolt; a couple with serious marital issues and a family in turmoil; a friend who needs protection in a hostile workplace and another who needs protection from a family member; and so many others. Thank You for Rickey being in my life and for all the ways he encourages me! Thank You for technology that keeps us connected even though we are seven hundred miles apart! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me! May You ooze out of my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts in a mighty way in the day ahead. I pray I will be able to visit Marion even with the new guidelines to follow. May You be with her and all who are in facilities or living alone to not be lonely. Thank You Jesus for being My Depth! Amen.


No comments: