Thursday, September 23, 2021

Jeremiah 29:11-14 - "Look What You've Done"

Thirty-two years today the remnants of Hurricane Hugo were going through Ohio. I will never forget that day because it is the day Doc and I were wed. Yesterday when I received a call asking to go to Ohio to officiate a wedding I was blessed in abundance in so many ways. As I read through the ceremony I had a lot of memories flow through my mind. Our wedding, the homes we lived in, our ministry, our boys and their wives and babies... The list goes on and on. I thought about how I am who I am today because of Doc. He loved me unconditionally as my husband. He mentored me as my pastor. He took care of me 'in sickness and health' as I took care of him. There were many mountains in our marriage but God was our Mountain Mover. There were many times where we had no clue how bills would be paid but God was our Provider. When God told us to move to South Carolina, we did. It did not make sense to most but when God tells you to do something you do it. If it were not for Doc, I may have never came to the Church of the Nazarene. It was there I was introduced to the doctrine of holiness. I strive every day to not only hear His voice but to walk in obedience to His will. Pleasing God and sharing His love is my top priority. I remember so many people being surprised I stayed in South Carolina after Doc took his last breath on this earth. Most thought I would move back to Ohio. Probably in the human aspect of things that would have made more sense. But I don't live in the human aspect of life. I life in God's aspect doing as He desires. I prayed and His answer was I was called here to do a work. Even though Doc was no longer here for the work I was and I was to continue on. When we finally received occupancy for the church building, it was a great day to celebrate Doc's dream. Many times since we have celebrated things he had a vision to do. Last Saturday as the one hundred and thirty families came through the parking lot for the Food Distribution another dream of his was fulfilled. His list was long but as long as God directs I will continue to fulfill his dreams. I am so grateful for his last months on earth where we had a lot of time to converse about our memories, our dreams, and the future. I am grateful God continues to use my tribe to support me and encourage me. I am grateful for the memories Doc and I made over the years but especially for the ones made after our move to South Carolina. When we crossed the bridge from town and looked out over the water, one of us would always say 'and we live here!' We spent a lot of time at the beach or the waterfront downtown. This picture was taken four years ago when we took a walk on the beach to celebrate another year of marriage. We had gone through my breast cancer the year before which was a hard time in life. Little did we know what was ahead with the pancreatic cancer that took him. We both knew then and I continue to live in the knowledge God is in control and will never leave me. He will guide me as I allow Him to be my King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He will sustain me as long as I keep my focus on Him. Woo hoo! Last night was a short night but when I was awake the words to Tasha Layton's song "Look What You've Done" were in my mind and again this morning...

Look what you've done
Look what you've done in me
You spoke your truth into the lies I let my heart believe
Look at me now
Look how you made me new
The enemy did everything that he could do
Oh, but look what you've done

If Doc and I would not have repented and came back to the Lord many years ago, life would be so, so different. Thankfully God is a God who forgives and loves us back when we fall. Many people throughout the years have tried to tear me down for my past mistakes. Thankfully God is there to soothe the hurt caused by words. He is there to remind me I am not who I was but who I am in Him today. My past is no longer. It is over. All I have to do is continue to live in His presence allowing Him to love me through every day. There is where I will be safe and know His will for my life.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the phone conversation with Paul and Ben last night! What a treasure! Thank You for this day with all the memories of anniversaries in the past with Doc here! Thank You for the opportunity Eddie gave me to go to Ohio to officiate Allison's wedding! Thank You for the way You took care of everything to make it happen! You are such a wonderful Father. Thank You for giving me a spirit of flexibility when the schedule changes! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me! Father, I pray for many people today who need to realize their past does not have to dictate their future. A young man in rehab for anger issues, another young man dealing with addiction, two teens who have made 'bad' decisions, and many others. I pray for relationships to be restored in marriages and families. Oh how I pray for more couples to realize You need to be the Center of their marriage. I pray for more husbands to be the head of their households and I pray for the wives who are not allowing that to happen. I was thrilled to hear Heather Johnson's husband accepted You. Their life is going to change so much with this decision made. I continue to pray for many going through 'tough' days to realize Your peace. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Dan; Ben and Colleen; Scott; Tony and Madeline; Gay and Doug; Ms Savon; Carrie and Chris; Donna, Vicki, and Mike with recent losses; Norma;  Little Ivy and her family; many with COVID; Ed with stage 4 cancer; Sharon Sebolt; a friend who needs protection in a hostile workplace and another who needs protection from a family member; Stacy as she recuperates from surgery; and so many others. I pray for safe travels and for peace throughout this day as I bask in the memories of anniversaries of the past. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life. Thank You for being My Past, Present, and Future! Amen.

No comments: