Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Psalm 119:169-176 - "Ever Be"



This morning the Lord took me to Psalm 119. The last section of this Psalm is one that encourages me to keep on keepin' on when life gets tough. It reveals to me the heart of David.  In The Passion Translation this section is entitled "I Want To Follow You" which is exactly what I desire to do in life. David desired to praise God through life. I desire the same. No matter if it is a 'good' day or a 'tough' day I desire to praise Him. Yesterday was an 'ok' day as I rested in between cleaning, getting fall decorations out, and working on Children's Ministries material. There were some emotional moments as I thought about how my anniversary gift to Doc for years was not to get the decorations out until after our anniversary. It was also emotional as I prayed for some people I love who are in some nasty situations. My heart breaks for many and many tears have been shed over circumstances. I praise God He brings people to my prayers yet at times I question Him as to why He does. Verse one hundred seventy three is one I pray with deep meaning. Place Your hands of strength and favor upon me, for I've made my choice to follow Your ways. Yes!  It is only with His strength I can get through every day. Actually, it is only with His strength I not only get through these days but He is glorified through my days. I love how Matthew Henry describes David:

The psalmist desired grace and strength to lift up his prayers, and that the Lord would receive and notice them. He desired to know more of God in Christ; to know more of the doctrines of the word, and the duties of religion. He had a deep sense of unworthiness, and holy fear that his prayer should not come before God; Lord, what I pray for is, what thou hast promised. Henry continues: Let this psalm be a touchstone by which to try our hearts, and our lives. Do our hearts, cleansed in Christ's blood, make these prayers, resolutions and confessions our own? Is God's word the standard of our faith, and the law of our practice? Do we use it as pleas with Christ for what we need? Happy those who live in such delightful exercises.

I like the words touchstone by which to try our hearts, and our lives.  A touchstone determines the quality of soft metals. It tests metals for their strength. We have Scripture as our touchstone. We need to compare ourselves with His Word to measure our lives. I Peter 1:15-16 reads in the ESV: But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." He is the only One we should compare ourselves, not others. Praise His Holy Name!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being the example I have to live by! Thank You for giving me many opportunities to pray! Thank You for putting Rickey in my life who encourages me so much in the 'good' and the 'tough' days of life! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me with more of You! May You flow from my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a mighty way. May I find more reasons to praise You than to complain about life. I pray the same for all. When people hear us complain, they wonder how we can say we live for You yet complain so much. Lord, help us all to put more praises on our lips than complaints. I prayed throughout the night for many going through 'tough' days and I bring them before You once again. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Dan; Scott; Tony and Madeline; many with COVID; Gay and Doug; Ms Savon; Little Ivy and her family; Ed with stage 4 cancer; a couple with serious marital issues and a family in turmoil; Donna, Vicki, and Mike with recent losses of spouses; a young man in rehab for anger issues and another young man released from rehab yesterday; Norma; Sharon Sebolt; a friend who needs protection in a hostile workplace and another who needs protection from a family member; and so many others. Lord, may we all remember to praise You through the 'tough' days so You can work in and through us in mighty ways. Thank You Jesus for being The One I Praise! Amen. 

No comments: