Friday, January 22, 2021

Psalm 36; Mark 11:25; Psalm 4:1-5 - "Point To You"

Last night's study with Lysa Terkeurst on forgiveness was so, so good. These next six weeks will definitely not be easy but are ones that are so needed in my life. One of the things she said that is something I need to put before each day is:

Forgiveness is not made possible by our determination. Forgiveness is made possible by our cooperation with what God has already done with us.

We have to be open to allow God to heal us through forgiveness. We also have to be willing to focus on God instead of our hurts. The more we focus on ourselves, the more we will continue to experience the hurts of life. We cannot forgive on our own but God must be in the process for it to happen. One of the Scriptures Lysa spoke of was Psalm 36. This Scripture gives us a better understanding of who God is and a better understanding of who we are. Forgiveness is complicated and messy. God is the Only One who can take us through the road of forgiveness. He is the Only One who can take us through being scared, angry, etc. as we process through the hurts of life. He is the Only One who can tear down the wall to heal us. He gives clear direction in Mark 11:25 about forgiveness. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. If we do not forgive someone, how can we expect God to forgive us? I do not believe we can. How can we forgive someone who does not ask for forgiveness? Many years ago, I had a horrific situation in my life where someone did wrong against me. After counseling, praying, and many nights of distraught I realized I had to forgive them. If I didn't, I would go to hell with them. Last night the question was asked if the need to forgive someone was an obstacle or an opportunity in my life and how the need for forgiveness was affecting my life. I am struggling right now with forgiving someone who continues to hurt someone I love. How is that affecting my life? It brings anger to the surface every time I am around them. Psalm 4:4 reads in the ESV:  Tremble and do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Matthew Henry wrote of Psalm 4:1-5:

Hear me for thy mercy-sake, is our best plea. He who will not ask such blessings as pardon, and justifying righteousness, and eternal life, must perish for the want of them. Alas! that so many should make so fearful a choice. The psalmist warns against sin. Keep up holy reverence of the glory and majesty of God. You have a great deal to say to your hearts, they may be spoken with, let it not be unsaid. Examine them by serious self-reflection; let your thoughts fasten upon that which is good, and keep close to it. Consider your ways, and before you turn to sleep at night, examine your consciences with respect to what you have done in the day; particularly what you have done amiss, that you may repent of it. when you awake in the night, meditate upon God, and the things that belong to your peace. Upon a sick-bed, particularly, we should consider our ways. Be still. when you have asked conscience a question, be serious, be silent, wait for an answer. Open not the mouth to excuse sin. All confidence must be pan answer. Open not the mouth to excuse sin. All confidence only: therefore, after commanding the sacrifices of righteousness, the psalmist says, Put your trust in the Lord.

Henry repeated Open not the mouth to excuse sin for a reason. We cannot make excuses when we sin. Instead we must own up to them and ask for forgiveness. God forgives us when we do. We need to follow His example and forgive others even when they do not ask for it. The situation I lived through for years and was finally able to forgive the person even though they did not ask for forgiveness was not easy but I trusted God with it. The result was many years after I gave forgiveness they actually asked for forgiveness. I was no longer doing life with them on a regular basis and was surprised when they did. But it was like the icing on the cake on my road of hurt. This morning the Lord brought Point To You to my mind. These words could not be truer for someone needing to forgive another.

I need a miracle
Some healing for my heart
I need a revelation
A brand new start
I want simplicity
Where I can rest
But I need a miracle to put my past to death

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for this study from Lysa Terkerust on forgiveness! Thank You for the healing that is going to happen over the next six weeks with this study! Thank You for the ones who celebrated my Momma yesterday and the ones who will celebrate her today! Thank You for all who sent cards to her! Thank You for her life and for her hitting this ninety-year milestone! Woo hoo, God! Lord, I pray I am doing as well as she is when I turn ninety. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May you ooze out of my words, actions, thoughts, and attitude today in a mighty way. Thank You Jesus for being My Only One! Amen.

No comments: