Monday, October 15, 2018

Psalm 87 - "Different"

The Lord took me Psalm 87 this morning. As I was reading it, I was reminded of Doc's sermon yesterday about how we need to be different. We, as believers, need to be sharing God with others so they can also be born again. We need to be 'different' so people will desire to live as we live. This means we cannot live as the world does but instead as God desires. Too many people fall into the trap of competition with money, vehicles, clothing, etc. Those actions are not teaching their children the right way to live. Instead a life of pleasing God and walking in His will is needed. Matthew Henry writes about this passage:

The springs of the joy of a carnal worldling are in wealth and pleasure; but of a gracious soul, in the word of God and prayer. All grace and consolation are derived from Christ, through his ordinances, to the souls of believers.

I strive to live in His grace and not in the ways of the world. As Doc said yesterday, God desires us to be holy, not necessarily be happy. If we are happy all the time, we will not be seeking Him. Instead we will feel like we don't need Him but will do life on our own. During the sermon yesterday I kept having these words from the song "Different" going through my mind...

I wanna be different
I wanna be changed
'Til all of me is gone
And all that remains
Is a fire so bright
The whole world can see
That there's something different
So come and be different
In me


The desire of my heart is to be 'different' and 'changed' so people will see/hear God and not me. I desire to have His love ooze out of me in such a way that there will be no doubt He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords of my life. I don't want to be just another person on this earth but instead want to be a shining light for the Lord. The only way that can happen is for me to seek Him first in my life. I must take on His character so my actions, word and attitude will mirror His. It is not easy to do but as I accomplish this change I am blessed in abundance with the knowledge that I am walking in His will.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace that enables me to walk in Your will. Thank You for the opportunities You presented to me yesterday to share Your love. Thank You for the ones You will put before me today. Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me. Make me 'different' and 'changed' so You can flow out of me. I pray for those who were in the service yesterday to reflect back on the words spoken. I pray they will have the desire in their heart to be 'different' and 'changed' too. Father, today starts another week and there is so much on the calendar. Would You please keep me focused on You and desires of Your heart so I don't miss anything You have in store for me? Would You give Doc and I some time together to just be us? Would You speak to me as I write my sermon so I convey the message You desire? Would You be with many in my realm who need a touch from You? I am praying for a friend facing surgery this week; those who are will be experiencing Brother Dan and his team; Billie as she continues on her path with the breast cancer; those who are cleaning up from Hurricane Michael; my Momma with her eye issue; Peggy and her family as they find a new normal without Mike; Jane's family as they continue to grieve; and my family who I am missing so greatly. Father, be greater than the things of this world. May You be greater than the hurts people are experiencing. Thank You Jesus for being My Changer. Amen.

No comments: