Thursday, October 11, 2018

Psalm 36 - "Your Love Oh Lord"


As I was reading Psalm 36 this morning verses five through nine stuck out to me. These verses describe God in The Message with some very cool words. It reads that His "love is meteoric, His loyalty astronomic, His purpose titanic, His verdicts oceanic." All of these words to describe Him show a greatness beyond comprehension to humans. As I studied this passage, I read a sentence from Matthew Henry's commentary that hit me. He wrote: "Gracious souls, though still desiring more of God, never desire more than God." I stopped and pondered upon this for a few minutes. I pray for more of God every day. I desire to have more of Him so I can be more Christ-like. I do not quite understand what it means to want more than Him. He is enough. How can there be more than Him when He is the greatest? As I continued reading in the commentary, I think what Henry is talking about is to have the desire to live for eternity with God. When one lives for God, they are content on this earth but there is a yearning to be out of this world and to be 'home' with Him. I get tired of the fight on this earth. It is hard to be knocked down time after time but I realize that is what strengthens my faith. Henry writes:

The gifts of Providence so far satisfy them, that they are content with such things as they have. The benefit of holy ordinances is sweet to a sanctified soul, and strengthening to the spiritual and Divine life. But full satisfaction is reserved for the future state. Their joys shall be constant. God not only works in them a gracious desire for these pleasures, but by his Spirit fills their souls with joy and peace in believing. He quickens whom he will; and whoever will, may come, and take from him of the waters of life freely. May we know, and love, and uprightly serve the Lord; then no proud enemy, on earth or from hell, shall separate us from his love. Faith calleth things that are not, as though they were. It carries us forward to the end of time; it shows us the Lord, on his throne of judgment; the empire of sin fallen to rise no more.

I am grateful for the love of the Lord that keeps me in tune to His will for my life. I know if I did not have His love, I would not be able to withstand some of the things put before me. His love strengthens me. His love encourages me. His love empowers me. Plain and simple. His love is what gets me through each and every day. As I became upset over a school grade last night, I could feel His loving arms wrapping around me to encourage me. He reminded me that the teacher is not the one I am to please. It is Him. I prayed for Him to continue to be with me through this last sermon for this class as I strive to do my best.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace. Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the blessings ahead in this day. Thank You for being with Marion with her surgery. May You give me opportunity to be You to her and her family throughout this time of recuperation. Thank You for our friends Kelbley's who visited yesterday. May You bless their time here as AJ graduates tomorrow. Thank You for the way You gave wisdom with a decision yesterday. May You continue to guide me as I live for You. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me. May You be the One to give me the words, actions, and attitude You desire of me today. Thank You Jesus for being My Eternity. Amen.

No comments: