Friday, October 19, 2018

Psalm 79 - "Chainbreaker"



The Lord took me to Psalm 79 this morning. It seems like everywhere I turn end times is coming into the conversation or study. Doc is teaching on Wednesday nights about it, a friend asked a question yesterday that pertained to it, and here this morning this Psalm was given for me to ponder. It is a prophecy that was written before Jesus' time. It describes how Babylon destroyed Jerusalem in which many were taken as prisoners. One thought is that one of those prisoners wrote the Psalm. It explains how if God does not do anything for people, then they think he is weak or does not exist at all. In this particular Psalm the term "countries" or "nations" means Babylon but it could mean anyone who hurts God's people. There are so many times people think God leaves them because they are going through tough days. That is not true. He gives us free choice to make decisions. When we make choices not of Him, there are consequences. I truly believe we are living in the last days of earth as we know it. Believers showing hatred toward others is unbelievable for me. Seeing how politics is dividing believers hurts me to the core. Hearing what believers say about politicians blows me out of the water. Discord in families to the point of not speaking to one another is another sign of people not listening to the Lord. What is going to happen to those who are not walking in His will when Jesus' returns? I do believe there will be many who will be surprised by where they spend eternity. But there should be no surprises. We make the choice while on this earth as to where we will spend eternity. The choices we make daily need to be thought about now. We need to give up our selfish ways and be loving, Christ-like people while on this earth. We must repent of our sins to receive salvation. When we do, the Lord will gather us in His flock and be the Good Shepherd who takes care of us. I love this word picture that shows us praising Him when we accept His care as our Shepherd. This is for everyone but unfortunately there are many who do not accept it. Salvation is for all. We, as believers, need to remember that it is not for us to keep in secret but instead we need to share with all we meet. The desire of my heart is for my friends and family to spend eternity in heaven. These words of Matthew Henry are ones to ponder upon:

The Christian forgets not that he is often bound in the chain of his sins. The world to him is a prison; sentence of death is passed upon him, and he knows not how soon it may be executed. How fervently should he at all times pray, O let the sighing of a prisoner come before thee, according to the greatness of thy power preserve thou those that are appointed to die! How glorious will the day be, when, triumphant over sin and sorrow, the church beholds the adversary disarmed for ever! while that church shall, from age to age, sing the praises of her great Shepherd and Bishop, her King and her God.

I desire to be who God wants me to be. That is why I start each day asking Him for a cleansing in my spirit so He can fill me with more of Him. Repentance is not a one-time thing but it must be sought at all times. We must be clean at the time of His return if we want to spend eternity with Him. Oh how I wish more people would get to the point in life where they would realize this. The things and ways of this world may give happiness for a short time but eternity with the Lord is where true happiness is found. As Doc said last week, "God does not want us to be happy. He wants us to be holy!" I know there are some who don't understand the meaning of that statement but I am thankful I do. I am praising His name for all He has done in my life and all that is left to be done.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the words of Psalm 79 that encourage me to show You with others. Thank You for Your cleansing power. Thank You for filling me with more of You. Cleanse me so You can fill me is my morning prayer. I also pray a continuation of healing in Mordecei's body. I love my four-legged buddy so much and it's so hard to see him suffer. I also pray for physical and emotional strength through these tough days. I pray it was just an allergic reaction in him and that the medication works to give him more days. I pray for those who have lost their four-legged buddies this week to feel Your comfort. You give us them to love and for them to love on us and for that we are grateful. Father, go before me today and open doors for opportunities to share Your love with others. Give me Your wisdom as I make decisions that will glorify You. Thank You Jesus for being My Shepherd. Amen.

No comments: