Friday, October 12, 2018

Ephesians 4:32 - "Forgiveness"


Every time I was awake during the night the words to a song Matthew West sings called "Forgiveness" was going through my mind. "Forgiveness" is one of the hardest things to give as human beings. It is something that does not go with our normal actions yet it is something that we must give if we want to have peace in our life. God forgives us over and over again. But He is God. We are human with very deep emotions. In this song, it talks about how painful it can be to be in a situation where one has hurt you. The pain can cause us to not think straight at times. It can cause us to be angry and bitter. It is ok to be angry but it is not ok to sin in anger. Bad mouthing another, thinking vengeful things about them, etc. are all ways anger can turn into sin. These words need to be our prayer when dealing with someone who is/has hurt us yet we need to forgive them.

Show me how to love the unlovable
Show me how to reach the unreachable
Help me now to do the impossible
Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Help me now to do the impossible
Forgiveness

"Forgiveness" does not come easy, especially if the person who hurt you does not ask for it. But there is freedom that comes with it. As long as we stay in a state of not forgiving another, we give the enemy an open door into our lives. He will play havoc with telling us they don't deserve forgiveness or you are better than them. When we hold onto not forgiving another, we become bitter and sometimes are hateful. That is not what God desires of us. He desires us to love everyone. When the boys were growing up and had a tough time with someone, I also told them 'you don't have to like them, but you do have to love them with Jesus' love.' We can't 'like' everyone or be best friends with everyone but we do need to love them because Jesus commands us too. People make mistakes that can tear us apart but we need to remember Jesus forgives them when they have repentant hearts. We need to do the same, even if they don't ask. There are many situations where forgiveness may seem impossible but nothing is impossible when God is in it. I think of Jeremy's family with the man who hit and killed him; many ladies who were sexually assaulted as little girls; spouses who had their husband or wife commit adultery; children who are/were abused by their parents; siblings who have said hurtful words to one another; the list goes on and on. Every one of these people need a heart of forgiveness with those who have hurt them. I think one of the hardest things is to forgive someone who continues to do an act against us. But once again we need to remember that Jesus forgives us even when we continue to sin. I struggle with the words of Luke 17:3-4. Jesus told His disciples:

3
 So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.
4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

These words go against what I have been taught. Jesus is telling us to forgive people "if they repent" no matter how many times they do something against you. There are times such as when being abused that the person will not ask for forgiveness. If we keep bitter feelings against them, we will live a miserable life. But then I went back and re-read these words and realized He isn't talking about all but a "brother or sister" which means another believer. One who is not a believer won't understand the concept of repentance so they would be apt to ask for forgiveness. I know some situations going on right now where all are believers yet the hurt keeps happening. I think of the saying 'hurting people hurt people.' It is so sad to see families being torn apart by the enemy; friendships being crushed; people living in a state of bitterness and anger; etc. The enemy is playing havoc in our world and he needs trampled down by the prayers and praises of God's people. If a believer is causing havoc, the one being hurt by them needs to pray for God to open their eyes to what they are doing. I believe the one being hurt also needs to ask God to forgive them for anything they have themselves did to sin in the situation; pray for the one hurting them to realize what they are doing; and forgive them even before they ask for forgiveness. Then peace will be found.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace. Thank You for the peace You give me in the midst of being hurt by others. Thank You for the joy You give me as I allow You to work in and through me. Thank You for cleansing me today so You can fill me to overflowing. Father, I praise You for the way You opened my eyes to forgiveness of those who hurt me. Lord, this morning I am praying for so many who are in the middle of hurtful situations. May You open their eyes to forgiveness. Thank You Jesus for being My Peace. Amen.

No comments: