Thursday, July 6, 2017

Psalm 31 - "Still"

The last verse of Psalm 31 has such great meaning...


When one is going through tough times, there is a choice to be made. They can either hope in the Lord and allow Him to be glorified through the circumstances or they can fret and manipulate things. David begins Psalm 31 by praying for deliverance. He is confident God will do this (vs 1-8). In verses 9-18 he continues to pray for God to have mercy on him against his troubles. The last section (vs 19-24) shows David praising God. He ends with showing when we have hope in God, we can be encouraged in knowing He will deliver us from tough times. I like how Matthew Henry says it...

"The deliverance of Christ, with the destruction of his enemies, ought to strengthen and comfort the hearts of believers under all their afflictions here below, that having suffered courageously with their Master, they may triumphantly enter into his joy and glory."

Yes! Woo hoo! "...triumphantly enter into his joy and glory." That is the ultimate goal in my life. To live for eternity with Him will be the icing on the cake. Realizing that goal will make all of the tough times on this earth worth it. But I must stay on course and be focused on Him. I must not only hear His Voice but I also must be obedient to it. The way to do that is to be "still" in His presence. Hillsong sings a song called "Still" that is powerful.

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God
Find rest my soul
In Christ alone
Know his power
In quietness and trust

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminder this morning of where Your power is found. Thank You for loving me so greatly that You never give up on me. Thank You for cleansing me today from anything not of You. Father, I pray for more of You to show through me today in my actions and attitude. I pray for peace in the midst of chaos. I pray for deliverance from the enemy. Father, fill me to overflowing with more of You. I pray for many this morning for protection. One who needs protection in their physical body against the outcome of medical testing. Two who need protection in their physical and emotional bodies. I pray each of them will find Your empowerment through Your presence. Thank You Jesus for being My Still. Amen.

No comments: