Monday, July 3, 2017

Psalm 27 - "Bless the Broken Road"

The last verse of Psalm 27 has some of the best advice...


Waiting can be one of the hardest things to do on this earth. We must be strong in our faith as we wait for the Lord to reveal His plan or answer for us. Sometimes that comes in a positive manner while others times it seems to not. The thing we must remember is that His way is always the positive way. It may seem like there is no way it could be but it is. We must never manipulate things to have them come out the way we desire but instead we must wait on His timing. This Psalm is full of David's words of dependence upon the Lord. In the first verse He acknowledges "The Lord is my light and my salvation...strength of my life..." (NKJV). He looks to life with the Lord for eternity not just as a temporary solution (vs 4). He acknowledges the Lord as his protector (vs 5). David knows the importance of prayer and exercises it starting in verse seven. Matthew Henry writes of this Psalm...

The psalmist requests the favour of the Lord; the continuance of his presence with him; the benefit of Divine guidance, and the benefit of Divine protection. God's time to help those that trust in him, is, when all other helpers fail. He is a surer and better Friend than earthly parents are, or can be. What was the belief which supported the psalmist? That he should see the goodness of the Lord. There is nothing like the believing hope of eternal life, the foresights of that glory, and foretastes of those pleasures, to keep us from fainting under all calamities. In the mean time he should be strengthened to bear up under his burdens. Let us look unto the suffering Saviour, and pray in faith, not to be delivered into the hands of our enemies. Let us encourage each other to wait on the Lord, with patient expectation, and fervent prayer.

Woo hoo! We need to pray and then expect! He is ready to answer our prayers in His time. This morning I am praying for many who have been waiting for His answer. Some have been waiting many years while others just a short time. No matter how long, waiting can be a tough place to be. I am praying for strength in these ones, especially for the enemy to have no open doors into their situation...

  • parents of prodigals from all sorts of distractions from God - drugs, alcohol, Jehovah Witness, same-sex relationships
  • a lady waiting on cancer surgery results
  • a man and his job situation
  • a family with financial issues
  • a family with a loved one with serious medical issues
  • two ladies looking for new jobs
  • parents with a young child with leukemia
  • several lonely widows/widowers
  • two divorcees who are lonely
  • a pastor who longs for a church they can minister in
  • a wife with an addictive husband
  • a couple nearing retirement
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for all of the times You have been with me through some pretty tough times of waiting. Father, I praise You for the strength You gave through those times. I also ask forgiveness for the times I went ahead of Your plan and/or manipulated it. I pray for many this morning who are in the 'waiting room' of life. I pray they will seek You and wait on Your answer. Give them Your strength to wait. I pray they are in a relationship where they can not only hear You but they desire to walk in obedience. Lord, I also pray today for Doc as he is working at the post office. I pray for mental, emotional, physical but most of all spiritual strength today. May he be a beacon of light where You have placed him today. I pray the same for myself. I pray You will use me to encourage others by being my words, actions and attitude. Thank You Jesus for being My Expectation! Amen.

No comments: