Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Psalm 29 - "Praise You In This Storm"


When the lightening and thunder started again during the night, I thought about how powerful it sounded. But nothing is as powerful as God. This morning as I read Psalm 29 I once again thought of God's power. Some people are scared during storms in the weather. Some people are also scared during a 'storm' in their life. When life brings upon unknowns, some will flee from the Lord and blame Him while others will run into His arms for protection.   We need to praise Him in the storms of life because He is with us. He is powerful in the storms of life by drawing us closer to Him, protecting us from the evil one, and speaking words of peace over us. The last verse of this chapter tells us He will strengthen us and give us peace when we are in relationship with Him. I think of last fall how within a month's time I experienced a hurricane in our weather and a hurricane in my health with the diagnosis of breast cancer. Both were tough to go through but both brought me deeper in my relationship with the Lord. Both had unknowns. With the hurricane there were many questions such as 'Should we leave and if so, when? What will we find when we return?' We prayed and sought the Lord for His direction. The same goes with the cancer diagnosis. 'What stage will it be? What treatments will I have?' Once again, we prayed and sought the Lord. There were people who ridiculed us for the decisions we made both during the hurricane and through the cancer diagnosis. That's OK because we know we sought the Lord and listened to His Voice. I love how Psalm 29 describes His Voice..It "is over the waters" (vs 3); "powerful" and "full of majesty" (vs 4); "breaks the cedars" (vs 5); "divides the flames of fire" (vs 7); "shakes the wilderness" and "shakes the Wilderness of Kadesh" (vs 8); and "makes the deer give birth" (vs 9). His Voice is powerful! He can calm the storms in the weather and the storms in our lives at anytime just by speaking. Sometimes that happens sooner than later. Sometimes He is waiting to see how deep we will go in our faith. Sometimes He wants more of us and that is why He allows the storms to happen. No matter how long the storm last we must always remember David's words in verses ten and eleven...

The Lord sat enthroned at the Flood,
And the Lord sits as King forever.
11 The Lord will give strength to His people;
The Lord will bless His people with peace.


Yes! He will always be with us through the storms. He will always give us His strength and His peace. The key to having those things is to be in relationship with Him. I do not know how people get through life without Him. If He were not the King of Kings and Lord of Lords in my life, this last year would have taken me under. I praise His Holy Name for who He is to me.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Psalm 29 that reminded me of Your strength and peace through the storms of life. Thank You for Your protection from the enemy. Thank You for being who You are to me. Lord, I pray for a cleansing in my spirit. I pray forgiveness from thoughts that went through my mind yesterday. I need Your attitude in a greater way today. I pray for more of You to show through me in not only my attitude but in my words and actions. Fill me to overflowing so people will see and hear You instead of me. Thank You Jesus for being My Storm Designer. Amen.

No comments: