Monday, September 26, 2016

I Peter 5:7 - "Cast My Cares"



When I was a little girl, I memorized I Peter 5:7. I thought it was just that we were to pray about things that troubled us. As I grew up, I realized I Peter 5 is direction for those doing God's work. That does not mean just pastors but it means everyone doing His work. That means all believers because we all need to be doing His work.

I read an illustration by Spurgeon of a man who went to move furniture for someone with a heavy backpack on. He complained about having problems moving the furniture. It reads, "Would you not suggest that he would find it easier if he laid his own burden aside so that he could carry yours? In the same way, we cannot do God's work when we are weighed down by our own burdens and worries. Cast them upon Him, and then take up the Lord's burden - which is light burden, and a yoke that fits us perfectly." Wow! What a great illustration! In the Message Bible the words "Live carefree" exemplify what it means when you "Cast all your anxiety..." It does not mean there won't be tough times but it means when the tough times come one will have peace in knowing God is in control. This only comes through humbling ourselves before God (vs 5). When we die to self and allow His Holy Spirit to leave in and through us, there will fewer things to 'cast' upon Him. When we are living in His will, we are enabled to take a break from our normal daily life. It is during these times we are refreshed and renewed in our spirit. When I have the opportunity to sit by the ocean for a few hours, I am blessed in hearing from Him. As I walk the beach and sing praises to Him in worship, I am refreshed. The things that were beginning to seem like mountains before me become little anthills. The crabbiness in my emotional body flows away as the water flows out from the beach. It has been too long since I have been to the beach and I need to be refreshed and renewed there soon.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You bring meaning to Your Word that is needed exactly when I need it. Thank You for the way You encourage me. Father, I do not pray for finances because I know You already have a plan to provide. I do not pray for the results from medical testing because I know You already know the outcome. But I do continue to pray for souls that need You in their life. I pray for people to go before them today and say or do something to make a difference in their heart. I pray You will fill me to overflowing with more of You and enable me to be Jesus to people today. Thank You Father for being My Provider! Amen.

No comments: