Friday, September 2, 2016

Acts 2:25 - "Eye of the Storm"


When I took this picture yesterday, I thought how it was 'the calm before the storm' with the tropical storm brewing. A few hours later I went into the grocery store to get a watermelon and it was crazy! Every cash register was open with a line at each one. Gas stations had lines of people too. With this being our first one living here we have been watching to see how people prepare so we can do the same. There are certain things that go through your mind when facing such a situation. One is to make sure your cell phone is charged up. Another is to make sure you are ready at any moment to leave if need be. I remember a few years ago we were vacationing on Hilton Head and we ended up leaving a day early to get ahead of the storm. But something that keeps going through my mind is how sad it is that people do not have the Lord's peace in such situations. Another thing that I think about is how it is a shame more people do not prepare for the Lord's return like they do for a big storm. David is quoted in Acts 2 with words that describe Jesus' and how He faced a coming storm. Jesus stayed in the presence of His Father. It was in doing so that He did not have to fear anything. As He lived in His Father's presence He not only had peace but He had hope. One translation of Acts 2:25 uses the word 'moved' instead of 'shaken' as in this one. The Greek word for 'moved' means agitated or shaken, disturbed. In other words, Jesus was saying no matter what storm came His way He knew His Father was in control. Anyone who has given their life totally to the Lord can say the same thing. They will not have to fret but instead can have peace. They will not have to worry about the 'what ifs' of their situation but instead can have hope in the outcome. As I watched people yesterday being crazy over the upcoming tropical storm/hurricane I was amazed at the peace I felt in my spirit. I know the peace I feel is because of the focus I have on My Heavenly Father. Jesus' testimony in verse twenty-eight is one that I will stand upon.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the protection You have already given through and the protection You will provide through this tropical storm/hurricane. Father, I pray for those who do not have Your hope and peace to find You. May You use this storm in their physical life to take care of the storm in their spiritual life. Father, I pray for more of You to be in me so people will desire the peace I have. Thank You Jesus for being My Hope and Peace! Amen.

No comments: