Monday, November 23, 2015

Psalm 23 - "I Am Not Alone"

The phrase "status quo" has been going over and over in my mind for the last couple of days. I looked up the meaning and it said, "the current situation: the way things are now." I have been pondering this definition and asking the Lord how it applies to me. I love where I am in relationship with the Lord yet I always want more of Him. I don't think we should ever be satisfied with where we are with Him. But then this morning He took me another direction in my thinking as I was praying for a dear friend who is in a battle in her physical body. The desire in her heart is for her family members to be in a personal relationship with the Lord. She wants them to go beyond just knowing Him. Through her situation she desires them to draw close to Him and know He is with them during these tough days. She has great faith and the desire of her heart is for them to see that and want it too. She is the 'poster child' for the song I Am Not Alone. She lives out these words...

When I walk through deep waters
I know that You will be with me
When I'm standing in the fire
I will not be overcome
Through the valley of the shadow
I will not fear

I am not alone
I am not alone
You will go before me
You will never leave me

In the midst of deep sorrow
I see Your light is breaking through
The dark of night will not overtake me
I am pressing into You
Lord, You fight my every battle
And I will not fear

She has no fear of the days ahead but she does desire her loved ones to know how to live in such days in that state. Fear is something the enemy gives us, the Lord gives us peace. Fear is something that cripples our thinking, the Lord gives us clarity. Yes, we have questions as to why people have to get such things as cancer and we may never know the complete answer. But for my friend she sees her disease as a way for family to come into a deeper relationship with her Lord. She sees herself as the pathway for eternity for them. Does she want to be in such pain? As a human being the answer is 'no' but as a child of the King the answer is 'yes, if it will enable people to see Him in her.' The Lord took me to Psalm 23 this morning as I prayed for her and her family as they go through these tough days.

Matthew Henry writes about this Psalm, "The Lord gives quiet and contentment in the mind, whatever the lot is. Are we blessed with the green pastures of the ordinances, let us not think it enough to pass through them, but let us abide in them. The consolations of the Holy Spirit are the still waters by which the saints are led; the streams which flow from the Fountain of living waters. Those only are led by the still waters of comfort, who walk in the paths of righteousness. The way of duty is the truly pleasant way. The work of righteousness in peace. In these paths we cannot walk, unless God lead us into them, and lead us on in them." Praise His Holy Name for giving us exactly what we need no matter what we are going through in life. He is Our Quietness, Our Contentment, Our Peace through the storms of life. Henry continues, "The Lord's people feast at his table, upon the provisions of his love. Satan and wicked men are not able to destroy their comforts, while they are anointed with the Holy Spirit, and drink of the cup of salvation which is ever full. Past experience teaches believers to trust that the goodness and mercy of God will follow them all the days of their lives, and it is their desire and determination, to seek their happiness in the service of God here, and they hope to enjoy his love for ever in heaven. While here, the Lord can make any situation pleasant, by the anointing of his Spirit and the joys of his salvation. But those that would be satisfied with the blessings of his house, must keep close to the duties of it."

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being Our Quietness, Our Contentment, Our Peace no matter what we are going through. I pray for Betty and her family as they go through these tough days. I pray they will draw near to You so they can feel Your strength. Lord, speak to those who are not in relationship with You. Father, the desire of Betty's heart is for all her loved ones to spend eternity with You. Bless her today with the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to give her what she needs to fight this battle. I pray for Your healing touch to come down upon her in such a way that there is no doubt You are her Healer. Lord, fill her to overflowing so all who see her see You. Speak through her words in a way that is comforting yet bold to her family. Father, I pray for You to flow through me as I minister to them. Fill me to overflowing with more of You. Thank You Jesus for being My Great Shepherd. Amen.

No comments: