Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Ephesians 5 - "Lift My Life Up"


Sometimes I get battle weary. There are times when I feel like no matter what I say or do makes a difference in people's lives. I want to give up trying yet I know I can't. The desire of my heart is to see the desire of the Lord's heart be fulfilled. That will take people getting to the point of surrender. It will take people realizing life is not about what they want but rather what the Lord wants. There are times what we want and what He wants will be aligned but not always. I am so ready for His return. I'm tired of the 'junk' of this world that tries to pull me down. I get discouraged with people being too busy with life that they put God on the back burner or sometimes even forget Him totally. He is the One who created us. Not only did He create us but He created us for a purpose. What is that purpose? To be Christ-like. How can we do that? By following the direction Paul gives in Ephesians 5.

Verse 1..."Follow God's example..."
Verse 2..."walk in the way of love..."
Verse 3...live a pure life
Verse 4...be thankful
Verse 5-7...stay away from those who don't follow Him
Verse 8-10..."Live as children of light...find out what pleases the Lord"
Verse 11-14...expose darkness
Verse 15-16..."Be very careful, then, how you live..."
Verse 17..."understand what the Lord's will is."
Verse 18-20..."be filled with the Spirit...always giving thanks to God"
Verse 21- 33..."Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ."

If every person on this earth strived to live a Christ-like life, the world would be a better place. If we put Christ first in all that we do, our lives would be more pleasant to live. There would not be 'junk' to deal with if everyone had Christ in their heart. Unfortunately, the enemy is in this world to keep people from being Christ-like. Praise the Lord the enemy does not have the supernatural powers Christ has but unfortunately he finds ways to get into people's lives. He finds little things to blow out of proportion to cause issues in relationships. He takes our circumstances and tries to use them for his good instead of God using them for His good. These words of Matthew Henry are encouraging:

"When afflicted or weary, let us not seek to raise our spirits by strong drink, which is hateful and hurtful, and only ends in making sorrows more felt. But by fervent prayer let us seek to be filled with the Spirit, and to avoid whatever may grieve our gracious Comforter. All God's people have reason to sing for joy. Though we are not always singing, we should be always giving thanks; we should never want disposition for this duty, as we never want matter for it, through the whole course of our lives. Always, even in trials and afflictions, and for all things; being satisfied of their loving intent, and good tendency. God keeps believers from sinning against him, and engages them to submit one to another in all he has commanded, to promote his glory, and to fulfil their duties to each other."

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for taking me to this passage this morning. Thank You for encouraging me to keep on the path You have me on. Thank You for the reminders of this passage of what it takes to be Christ-like. Father, that is the desire of my heart because I know it is the desire of Your heart. Lord, whatever this day holds it is Yours. Wherever You lead my words and steps they are Yours. Fill me to overflowing with more of You so people will have the desire to be Christ-like. Lord, I pray for those who are struggling with surrendering to You. I pray they will have their eyes opened up today to this life of freedom. Thank You for being My Example. Amen.




No comments: