Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Philippians 2:12-13; Matthew 6:6 & 7:7; I Thessalonians 5:17 - "My Story"



Last night was full of prayer requests for serious situations. As I went to bed I was a bit overwhelmed with the grief. I prayed and then fell asleep to be woke up an hour later with an urgency to pray more. There is just so much 'junk' going on in this world that is causing such grief for many. Some of the people are strong in their faith while others do not know what it means to lean upon the Lord. My heart breaks for the ones I prayed for...

  • the wife who is dealing with her husband going through a sexual identity crisis
  • the parents who are facing their daughter 'marrying' her same sex partner
  • the young pastor's wife who was shot in the head during a home invasion and in a coma
  • the young couple with a child on life support whose life will end today
  • the family torn apart due to alcoholism
  • the mother broken hearted over her adult son being addicted to heroin
  • the parents dealing with a rebellious teenager
  • the two sets of parents who lost their teenage daughters this week in accidents
As I prayed I thought about how many people question the purpose of prayer. I have heard many times things such as "If God already knows the outcome, what is the purpose of prayer?" The purpose is found in Philippians 2. When we pray, it aligns our thinking with the Lord's. We cannot know what His will is until we communicate with Him. We must live a Matthew 6:6 prayer life ('going into our closet') in order to have a Matthew 7:7 prayer life (ask, seek, knock). As we follow His example in praying we will draw into a deeper intimacy with Him. We will not only hear His voice but the desire of our heart will be to listen to Him. As we submit to Him through prayer we will be changed.

Philippians 2:12-13 reads, Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

God's will becomes so much more clear to us when we pray. As it becomes clearer we are enabled to trust Him in all circumstances. We do not pray to change His mind but rather we pray to change us. Jesus gave us the perfect example of how to get alone to pray as He went into the Garden. He also, through the Apostle Paul, tells us to "pray without ceasing" (I Thessalonians 5:17). He expects us to pray but more importantly He expects us to pray to draw closer to Him. Whether we our in 'prayer closets' or pray as we go throughout our day, He hears us.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for drawing me into a more intimate relationship with You. Thank You for using prayer to do that. Lord, I am so blessed by the way You speak to me through our conversations. I pray for Your blessings to be upon the ones I prayed for last night. I pray for miracles in their lives through mended relationships, healing in bodies, peace in tragic situations...I pray for You in their lives. Father, fill me to overflowing with more of You. I pray for Your love, Your words, Your actions to flow from me in a great way. Lord, there is no doubt You wanted to remind me of where You have brought me from with giving me "My Story" on my lips throughout the night and again this morning. Thank You for that reminder!
Thank You Jesus for being My Story. Amen.

No comments: