Saturday, June 6, 2015

Psalm 89 - "You Lift Me Up"

The Lord woke me up this morning to the song "You Lift Me Up" that the Afters sing. I started thinking about yesterday and the tears came over. The Lord knew I needed to ponder of these words...

You lift me up when I am weak
Your arms wrap around me
Your love catches me so I'm letting go

You lift me up when I can't see
You heart's all that I need
Your love carries me so I'm letting go

You lift me up with Your love
You lift me up with Your love
You lift me up with Your love
You lift me up

As I was singing, I was reminded of a picture I saw yesterday and the light bulb went on. The enemy has tried unsuccessfully to stop me during this time of the MS flair-up but He has not been successful. He is moving onto my emotional being and trying to use others to tear me down. He will not be successful! My God loves me and protects me. It is His love that carries me through hurt and disappointment.



Whether it be something that happened today or it be something that happened years ago, the Lord does not want me to hurt. He can use past hurts to enable me to help others but He does not want me to continue being hurt over words that were said or actions of others. When the enemy comes knocking at my door with reminders, I must be strong in making sure the door is locked. I must make sure the door stays locked and throw away the key. But that is so much easier said than done. But nothing is impossible with the Lord. This picture has so much truth in it.


It hit me last night that I thought I had forgiven. Then I thought about how there must still be a part of the ugliness still not forgiven. But the Lord reminded me this morning I had forgiven what happened in the past but what I was dealing with now is just that. Now. Urgh! He then took me to Psalm 89. As I read and re-read it, I was blessed by the comfort I found. No matter what happens on this earth, He loves me and is here for me. I like how Matthew Henry says it..

"Though our expectations may be disappointed, yet God's promises are established in the heavens, in his eternal counsels; they are out of the reach of opposers in hell and earth. And faith in the boundless mercy and everlasting truth of God, may bring comfort even in the deepest trials."

Woo hoo!  People will disappoint, God will not. People will tear down, God will not. People will cause issues, God will not. I am rebuking the hurt from yesterday. Not only that I am praying for those who caused the hurt. I am praying for people, including myself, to be aware of how our words and actions can effect others. As this song goes...

I can see the dawn is breaking
I am feeling overtaken
With Your love, with Your love

You lift me up with Your love
You lift me up with Your love
You lift me up with Your love
You lift me up

Psalm 89 is about God's covenant with David. The last several verses are a lament for God to be merciful. Matthew Henry writes:

"The records of the Lord's dealings with the family of David, show us his dealings with his church, and with believers. Their afflictions and distresses may be grievous, but he will not finally cast them off. Self-deceivers abuse this doctrine, and others by a careless walk bring themselves into darkness and distress; yet let the true believer rely on it for encouragement in the path of duty, and in bearing the cross. The psalm ends with praise, even after this sad complaint. Those who give God thanks for what he has done, may give him thanks for what he will do. God will follow those with his mercies, who follow him with praises."

These are some powerful words..."Those who give God thanks for what he has done, may give him thanks for what he will do." The relationship I have with the Lord is a covenant one.  Jesus died for my sins. I have confessed my sins, asked for forgiveness and He has saved me. But I didn't stop at just being saved. I have been sanctified to live a holy life for Him. I praise Him for what He has done in my past and I praise Him for what He will do in my future. 


Dear Jesus,
Thank You, thank You, thank You for loving me. Thank You for lifting me up when I am down. Thank You for cleansing me of anything that does not belong in me. Father, as the hurt brought up past feelings I started thinking about so many different things. I don't want to live in the past. I don't want to live in hurt. I don't want to have bad feelings about others. Father, cleanse me...purify me...empower me...fill me to overflowing with more of You and less of me...use me to be a vessel of light for You. Thank You Jesus for being My Covenant. Amen.


No comments: