Thursday, June 11, 2015

Isaiah 50:4 - "Brother"


The words to "Brother" by Need To Breathe are on my heart this morning. Yesterday was a day of having my eyes opened to some situations that seem so awful. It amazes me no matter what we are going through we can always see someone going through something worse. The hardest part for me is seeing someone struggling with life who doesn't know the Lord. The second hardest thing is knowing what is helping and what is enabling when reaching out to people. I praise the Lord for discernment He gives through prayer. I also praise His Holy Name for opening my eyes up to the truth. As I was praying this morning for some people, the tears started to flow for some situations I need to pray about...some people that need to know what it means to have someone to be their shelter in this thing called life. Some of them know the Lord but they need to see Him through others who will go along side them and be Jesus to them in their daily struggles. They need for someone to say...

Brother let me be your shelter
Never leave you all alone
I can be the one you call
When you're low
Brother let me be your fortress
When the night winds are driving on
Be the one to light the way
Bring you home
Brother let me be your shelter

How can we be someone's"fortress" or "shelter" is a question we need to ask the Lord. He is the One that not only calls us to fulfill the desires of His heart but in the process of calling us He also gives us gifts to equip us to do what He wants of us. A key to doing His will can be found in the empowerment He gives us. I like what I read in one of my textbooks this week about how when He gives us something to do He will supply us with a supernatural enablement to carry it out. He doesn't just lay someone on our heart to be a "Brother" too and then leave us to do it on our own. Instead He gives us exactly what we need in order to be successful in doing the task put before us. He empowers us in the process. Part of the empowering process comes when we seek His will. As we pray for discernment, not only will it be given but He also will guide us as to who and how to help in situations.

That is exactly what I need with two particular situations. I need discernment on if the Lord is calling me to be a fortress and a shelter in the lives of some hurting people. I think of both situations and my heart breaks for some children who don't have the best home life due to circumstances out of their control. Their home is not a shelter from the storms of life and that breaks my heart. I know I can't save everyone from the storms and hurt but if the Lord wants me to do something to be Him to these ones I know He will empower me to do so.


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being my Shelter throughout life. What a blessing You have always been to me. I remember the different storms You brought my family through as I was growing up. I am so grateful to live in a home with parents who depended upon You. Lord, I pray for the children who are in situations where that is not the case. I pray You will put people in their path who will be their shelter and place of refuge. Lord, in these two particular situations I pray You will give me discernment on if and what I am to do for these children. Lord, in order to have that discernment I need more of You and less of me. Fill me to overflowing. Father, I pray You will direct my words and my steps as I go throughout this day. Enable me to hear Your voice and then empower me to do Your will. Thank You Jesus for being The One I Listen To. Amen.


No comments: