Monday, June 22, 2015

Ecclesiastes 3 - "All You've Ever Wanted"


The Lord took me to Ecclesiastes 3 this morning. This is a common scripture heard at funerals. It is also common to hear it quoted when someone is going through a tough time. No matter what the circumstance there is one thing for sure. God is the One who is with us in 'good' or 'bad' times. He is the One who will sustain us. He is the One who will enable us to endure whatever is put before us. Woo hoo! Verse one of this passage says, There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. "...a season..." No matter what the season He has us in we must embrace it and seek the lesson He desires for us to gain from it. According to John Wesley a season is described as:

A season — A certain time appointed by God for its being and continuance, which no human wit or providence can alter. And by virtue of this appointment of God, all vicissitudes which happen in the world, whether comforts or calamities, come to pass. Which is here added to prove the principal proposition, That all things below are vain, and happiness is not to be found in them, because of their great uncertainty, and mutability, and transitoriness, and because they are so much out of the reach and power of men, and wholly in the disposal of God.

Often times we hear the saying, "This too shall pass" which is very true. But thankfully the lesson we learn from whatever we are going through does not pass but instead is embedded into us. I like how Wesley points out that everything that happens, whether 'good' or 'bad' will pass. That means the Lord will use 'good' things to teach us lessons too, not just 'bad' things. 

This season I am in with this MS flair-up is not one I would have chose myself. But yet I have to remember the Lord is with me and there is a lesson to be learned through it. I can't allow myself to wonder about the 'what-ifs' of the days ahead but must trust Him and know it will pass. I was thinking the other day about how life has changed so drastically and we have adjusted somewhat. If this is the new normal, I know the Lord will enable us to adjust to it. As I read this passage today, I thought about how I could take it two ways. One would be that this time of the flair-up will pass. Or it could be that this is my new season to adjust to. My initial thought is I hope it is something that will pass. But then the Lord checked me and said, "What if this is My will? Will you embrace it?" Oh my! I will embrace it if it will glorify Him. I know He is my strength. He is the One to enable me to do whatever I need to do. He is the One I trust. I am so grateful I can sing the words to "All You Ever Wanted" and mean them...

No more chains, I've been set free
Oh
No more fighting battles You've won for me
Oh
Now in Christ, I stand complete
Oh
All You've ever wanted,
All You've ever wanted
All You've ever wanted was my heart
(All You've ever wanted was my heart)
Freedom's arms are open,
My chains have all been broken
Relentless love has called me from the start
And all You wanted was my heart

Dear Jesus,
I thank You for this passage today. I praise Your Holy Name for the way You speak and I hear You. Lord, whatever is Your will is what I want. No matter what, I want You to be glorified! Lord, fill me to overflowing with more of You so people will see You in me. Permeate in me so You will ooze out of me... Thank You for being My Will. Amen.


No comments: