Thursday, June 25, 2015

Psalm 118 - "Me Without You"

This morning the Lord woke me up to a song Toby Mac sings called "Me Without You" and told me to read Psalm 118. As I was reading I remembered a statement Jim said in Bible study last night. "Our past helps us in our future." The things we go through in our past will enable us to get through in the days ahead. We can learn from them. We also will know God was with us then and He will be with us now. 

Psalm 118 starts with telling us: Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. We could stop right there and feel blessed. But as we continue reading in verses five through fourteen we find we need to trust the Lord in every circumstance we go through. He will enable us to be victors over anything that comes our way when we are living in His will. In verses fifteen and sixteen it reads, Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: 'The Lord's right hand has done mighty things! The Lord's right hand is lifted high; the Lord's right hand has done mighty things!' These verses tell me to praise Him through each and victory we have. In verse twenty-two is talks about a 'stone the builders rejected.' I remember as a teen/young adult singing a song about Jesus being a cornerstone the builders rejected. But as I was reading this my thoughts went another direction. What if the tough times in life are ones we 'reject' when they really are what we need to embrace because they are important to our future? That sounds a little strange yet I am wondering if we embrace the tough times and see God in them will it enable us to get through them easier? I think of the first few verses in James 1 where we are told to be joyful WHEN we go through trials. It doesn't say IF but WHEN. Tough times are going to be a part of life no matter what. The key is how we get through them. When we are believers, we have hope in the Lord and know He is with us in the 'good' and the 'bad'.

I like the words of Matthew Henry about this passage...

Whether the believer traces back his comfort to the everlasting goodness and mercy of God, or whether he looks forward to the blessing secured to him, he will find abundant cause for joy and praise. Every answer to our prayers is an evidence that the Lord is on our side; and then we need not fear what man can do unto us; we should conscientiously do our duty to all, and trust in him alone to accept and bless us. Let us seek to live to declare the works of God, and to encourage others to serve him and trust in him. Such were the triumphs of the Son of David, in the assurance that the good pleasure of the Lord should prosper in his hand.

Once again I go back to what Jim said last night, "Our past helps us in our future." As I apply that to my current MS flair-up, I've been here before. Twenty-one years ago was the first time I found myself not able to function normally. Since then there have been many times where I have lost the function in my arms, legs or eyes. But I am still here. God has always been with me...in the 'good' and in the 'bad' times. I praise His Holy Name for the comfort and encouragement He gives to me. I can truly say...
You are my God, and I will praise you;
    you are my God, and I will exalt you.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for being with me in my past, in my present and in my future. Thank You for enabling me to be joyful in both the 'good' and the 'bad' times in life. I think of the song from yesterday, "Your Presence Is Heaven" and am blessed in knowing you are the "holder of my future days to come." When tomorrow comes, You will be the One to enable me to go from the walker to the cane. In the days ahead, You will be the One to direct my steps..literally and figuratively. I honestly can sing the words to "Me Without You" and truly mean I "don't know where I'd be without You..." Lord, open eyes to those who don't know You. Father, I pray for more of You and less of me so people will see You in me. I don't know that I will leave the house today but whether I do or not I pray for opportunities to share You with others. Use me...be glorified through me...speak through me in some mighty ways. Thank You Jesus for being My Past, Present & Future. Amen.



No comments: