Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Psalm 29 - "When We Fall Apart"


God directed me to Psalm 29 this morning. This Psalm has many reminders that I needed to hear. It reminds me to praise God no matter what the circumstances. Yesterday was a very emotional day. When I walked the bridge, memories crept into my mind. As I baked cookies I thought about when I baked cookies a couple weeks ago I was with my Momma. I made my appointment for my annual mammogram and of course the anxiety surfaced as it does every time with doing so. I had a phone call that I anticipated would be 'bad' news yet it was encouraging news. Another phone call received from my dear friend Marlene blessed me in abundance. Ending my day with the table full of friends over dinner was exactly what I needed.   This Psalm is one that reiterates the fact that God made nature for our glory. He can be seen and heard through nature. Cait took this picture at Hunting Island when we were there Sunday. As I look at it I am taken back to playing in the water, sitting in the sand, listening to the waves, feeling the breeze go across my face, etc. I am so in tune to God when I am out in nature. His glory is shown 24/7 but especially through nature. Matthew Henry wrote of this Psalm:

The psalmist here sets forth God's dominion in the kingdom of nature. In the thunder, and lightning, and storm, we may see and hear his glory. Let our hearts be thereby filled with great, and high, and honourable thoughts of God, in the holy adoring of whom, the power of godliness so much consists. O Lord our God, thou art very great! The power of the lightning equals the terror of the thunder. The fear caused by these effects of the Divine power, should remind us of the mighty power of God, of man's weakness, and of the defenceless and desperate condition of the wicked in the day of judgment. But the effects of the Divine word upon the souls of men, under the power of the Holy Spirit, are far greater than those of thunder storms in the nature world. Thereby the stoutest are made to tremble, the proudest are cast down, the secrets of the heart are brought to light, sinners are converted, the savage, sensual, and unclean, become harmless, gentle, and pure. 

The part about our weakness and His power is a great reminder for me. I fell apart yesterday when I got off the phone from scheduling my mammogram. I do not like to feel weak in my spirit. I also had tears walking yesterday morning as the memories came and the hurt was overwhelming of being a widow. A song Ryan Stevenson sings called "When We Fall Apart" has been going through my mind of late. 

It's ok to cry
It's ok to fall apart
You don't have to try
To be strong when you are not
And it may take sometime to make sense of all your thoughts
But don't ever fight your tears
'Cause there is freedom in every drop
Sometimes the only way to heal a broken heart is when we fall apart

God made us with emotions for a reason. He made us unique in how we handle our emotions. Some are stronger than others. At times it is easier to laugh rather than to cry but no matter what we are feeling it is OK. We can be assured God is with us. Praise His Holy Name. As I look forward to the day ahead I do not know what all will happen but I know who does know and that is all that matters. As I walk this morning I will look for God in nature. I will listen for His voice in the birds, the breeze, the water, etc. I will allow Him to be so real to me and praise Him through whatever is ahead in this day.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for ending my day with a houseful of laughter! I so needed to be surrounded by friends who are indeed my family. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. Ooze out of my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a mighty way. My heart breaks for many who are going through 'tough' times. May all find Your peace. I pray Your strength over: My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Beth; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Rhonda; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sandy; Rick; Cyndi; Serenna and her husband; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Sharon's daughter Ashley; Chrissy's cousins; Shirley Jones; Preacher Bill Watts; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; my friend with mesothelioma; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Alex's niece as they await biopsy results; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; and a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer. I pray for: the Long Family, Vickie and her son Jim, and Russ. Thank You for continued strength for Baby Henry and for Alex's brother who was in a car accident! Thank You for being My Strength! Amen.

No comments: