Thursday, June 10, 2021

Hebrews 13 - "Hold On To Me"


I have been through many times in life when I felt like I could not go on. Life can be so, so hard. I am grateful for God's love to get me through not only the 'good' days but the 'tough' ones. I was talking with a friend yesterday who continues to deal with multiple health issues and recently hospitalized again. She knows who God is but is not in a personal relationship with Him. As we talked, she was amazed at everything going on in my life. She said she couldn't believe I was able to handle things so easily. That was an open door for me to share about the Lord. Last night in Bible study we talked about how we need to not manipulate situations but allow the Lord to guide us to share about Him. I know there are opportunities I miss to share Him but I pray there are more opportunities taken than missed. I pray for those do not know Him to find Him and for His peace to be known by all. I have said it many times. I do not know how people get through life without Him. I think back on my Daddy who had over sixty surgeries, beat cancer multiple times, experienced a broken neck after being hit by a train, gunshot wound, loss of my sister...the list goes on and on. His faith was what enabled him to endure through all these things. His faith was instrumental in my faith today. As I watched him suffer, I also watched him go deeper in trusting God. I am sure there were times he felt like giving up but he didn't. I am sure there were times the ole devil came knocking at his door but he closed the door in his face. I am sure there were times he questioned if God still loved him and I also am sure he was assured of His love. Many things I am sure of and one of them is this. My Daddy's walk with the Lord was instrumental in my walk with the Lord today. I refuse to give up. Not long ago I was in a conversation with a childhood friend and he said, "You are definitely Claude McHenry's daughter." I took that as a complement. I like being like my Daddy. My earthly Daddy loved with my Heavenly Daddy's love. I want to be known for that too. This morning as I think about so many going through 'tough' days I pray they will experience the peace of Christ. Lauren Daigle's song "Hold On To Me" is going through my mind.

Hold on to me when it's too dark to see You
When I am sure I have reached the end
Hold on to me when I forget I need You
When I let go, hold me again

I could rest here in Your arms forever
'Cause I know nobody loves me better
Hold on to me

People cannot always be with us but God can. He is always with us. No matter what we are going through we can know this when we know Him.  Throughout the pandemic many people felt very alone because of lack of contact with others. Little Sophia told me last night how she is sad she is not allowed to hug her teacher at school. The pandemic has impacted all ages. We, as believers, need to take such times to share God's love. We need to hold on to not only the love of Christ but those in our little world who show His love to us. Lauren Daigle wrote about this song: 

Even when I’m not myself, when I feel down, discouraged, angst, and uncertainty there are people that can see beyond. Those are the people that I’d love to hold on. My hope and my heart is that “Hold On To Me” reminds you of all the good in the world. No matter what you’re walking through, having someone there to hold you up and see you for who you are, even though the worst of circumstances — that’s what this song is about.

We all need people to encourage us but we especially need people in our lives who encourage us through God's love. God uses people to show us His love. He uses people to remind us He is always with us. This song is controversial on whether it is a Christian song or not. I personally can read between the lines and hear her heart for the Lord through it. I desire to rest in God's arms on 'good' days and 'tough' ones. I desire to glorify God through all my days. The prayer in Hebrews 13 is one that speaks volumes to me as I begin another day. I desire the Holy Spirit to fill me to overflowing so I can be the lady God has called me to be. I know I can accomplish this because of the knowledge of God's promise in Hebrews 13:5. It reads in The Passion Translation“I will never leave you, never! And I will not loosen my grip on your life!” Woo hoo! Praise His Holy Name!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You use Scripture and music to speak to me! Thank You for Your promise in Hebrews 13:5! Thank You for last night's activities with children, teens, and adults! Lord, open our minds to what You desire as we rebuild this ministry. Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me! May You flow from my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts in a mighty way. Lord, I will admit I am feeling a bit overwhelmed but I know You will continue to provide exactly what I need. I am standing in the knowledge of the prayer from Hebrews 13:20-21. May Your peace be mine in the day ahead. May You equip me as I strive to walk in obedience to Your will. May You empower me to fulfill the desires of Your heart. May You be glorified through me in a mighty way. Father, my prayer list is long, May You be so real to: my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Jack and Paula; Chrissy and her family; Mary Lilley; Joyce Wolfe; Little Ivy and her family; Melanie; two friends with career decisions; Pastor Scott and his family; Kaye; Cait; Pastor Patricia; Pastor Sammy; Brandy Combs and her family; Carrie and her family; my high school friend Jack as he recuperates from surgery; and so many others. I praise you for the good news David Kilgore received with being cancer free! I praise You for bringing Rickey into my life and the way You use him to encourage me! I praise You for the day ahead where I pray You will use me to share Your love with all I meet! Thank You Jesus for being My Constant Companion! Amen.

No comments: