Monday, February 6, 2023

Philippians 3 - "Battles"


There are five simple words that hold so much meaning in Paul's writing to the Church of Philippi. But one thing I do. Paul was speaking of His relationship with Christ. He was devoted to Him with His whole being. He was not in relationship with Him when he felt like it or when it worked into his schedule but was in relationship with Him 24/7. That is what God desires of us. When we live in such a manner, we will realize what He desires of us and bless our efforts. I asked a question in the sermon yesterday that made me stop and really think. 'Are you an amateur Christian or a professional Christian?' An amateur does things occasionally or whenever they desire. A professional does things to the best of their ability striving to be the best they can be. In Paul's writing in Philippians 3 he speaks about the need to forget the past and move toward the future. We all know our past. We know the mistakes we made. The enemy throws them in our face all the time to try to make us feel like God doesn't love us. God loves us so much He not only forgives us but He forgets what we did. I mentioned yesterday how so many times we go to the altar and give something to God yet when we walk away we take it with us. Shame on us. We cannot move forward in our walk with God if we wallow in the past. We must adhere to Philippians 3:14, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Yes! Pressing on when life gets 'tough' is a challenge but it is doable. Pressing on when we lose sight of our goal is a challenge but we must remember the goal is still there. Pressing on when we are not sure where we are headed takes faith in knowing God is in control and will not allow us to fail as long as we focus on Him. My goal is eternity with God. I work on this goal every day but sometimes mess up. I miss opportunities He puts before me and do things I shouldn't. Yet He still loves me and encourages to continue on. Praise His Holy Name! I spoke yesterday about how God doesn't want us to have a comfortable life. He wants us to have a life that takes our faith deeper. Sometimes that means getting near death, losing a loved one, having issues in relationships, etc. It is up to us on whether we stay focused on Him or allow the enemy an open door into our lives. It is a struggle that is very real. 
We must remember that.It also is a struggle God is greater than the enemy. I am reminded this morning of the song "Battles"...

You're going before me
And oceans are parting
You're fighting my battles.
When my feet are failing
And my heart is shaking
You're fighting my battles.


Dear Jesus,

Thank You for another great day with my church family! Thank You for loving me so greatly that You reminded me of Paul's words in Philippians 3:14! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today. I pray Your strength over many going through difficult days. Andy and his family with Katelyn's cancer; Kaye and her family; Rachael; my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; Ashley Foor; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Katelyn; Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; and a dear friend awaiting an oncologist appointment. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam and Darryle and his family. I praise You for continued reconciliation for a father and his prodigal daughter. I pray for Melinda and Todd with all they are going through. Thank You for being My Goal! Amen.


No comments: