Tuesday, February 7, 2023

II Timothy 1:7; Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Yes I Will"



Some days are so much harder than others as a pastor. There are so many people with great hurts in their life. Some are dealing with terminal illnesses in themselves or loved ones. Some are dealing with broken relationships. There are many dealing with financial issues with today's economy. Others deal with chronic pain. The list goes on and on. I find myself overwhelmed at times. It is in such times I cry out to the Lord for guidance, words, strength, wisdom, etc. Yesterday I shared II Timothy 1:7 with a few different people. Paul reminds us God empowers us to not allow the enemy to play havoc in our lives but instead we need to stand in God's love and empowerment. He encouraged Timothy to lean into God when difficulties come. Matthew Henry writes of this verse: The Holy Spirit is not the author of a timid or cowardly disposition, or of slavish fears. We are likely to bear afflictions well, when we have strength and power from God to enable us to bear them. Living in the Spirit is key to living a life of empowerment. When we try to live life on our own strength, we will fail. God's strength is the only way to be joyful. His wisdom is the only way to make decisions. His love is the only way to live in contentment. Matthew Henry continues:

The Christian doctrine is a trust committed to us; it is of unspeakable value in itself, and will be of unspeakable advantage to us. It is committed to us, to be preserved pure and entire, yet we must not think to keep it by our own strength, but by the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us; and it will not be gained by those who trust in their own hearts, and lean to their own understandings. 

This reminds me of Proverbs 3:5-6 that tells us: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Trusting God is key in every relationship. We must trust Him before He can empower us with the Holy Spirit. When we submit to His ways, we will be filled by Him as He desires. The song "Yes I Will" is on my heart this morning. When we find ourselves in the valley's of life, we need to remember He is in control. When we don't feel like we can go on, we need to remember to focus on Him instead of ourselves. He can and will not only get us through such times but empower us to glorify Him through them.

Yes I will, lift You high in the lowest valley
Yes I will, bless Your name
Oh, yes I will, sing for joy when my heart is heavy
All my days, oh yes I will

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for loving me so greatly through the reminders of II Timothy 1:7 and Proverbs 3:5-6! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. I pray blessings over many in the valleys of life. Andy and his family with Katelyn's cancer; Kaye and her family; Rachael; my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; Ashley Foor; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Katelyn; Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; and a dear friend awaiting an oncologist appointment. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam and Darryle and his family. I praise You for continued reconciliation for a father and his prodigal daughter. I pray for Melinda and Todd with all they are going through. Thank You for being My Empowerment! Amen.

No comments: