Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Romans 12:1 - "Who You Are To Me"

Yesterday was another emotional day. It was a day of another 'first' with going for my oncologist check-up without a significant other to talk to. Last time I had my Rickey to talk to after the appointment. Going into Dr. Newberry's office can be a traumatic experience. I will never forget the day of hearing Dr. Newberry say, "I think we are done" and hearing Doc say, 'Yes, I'm tired.' Every time I walk in there I re-live that day. I remember Dr. Newberry asking me if I were going to be ok and the compassion on his face. Those days were 'tough' but God was with us every step of the way. He was with me yesterday when I called my Momma and cried on the way into town. He was with me as I met with a new friend over coffee before my appointment. He was with me as Dr. Newberry talked with me. He is always with me. He knows what triggers my tears. When I got back to the car after the appointment, the tears fell as I thought about the last time calling my Rickey to give him the good news. Life has its challenges and I am thankful for God always being with me. I am thankful for the way He loves on me. Yesterday afternoon as I worked on Sunday's sermon He gave part of the next Sunday's too. I love sermon crafting time where I listen, He speaks, and my fingers fly over the keyboard. The Scripture for this series is Romans 12:1. I read it in different versions as I prepared for this sermon series. I love it in The Message. This is how I strive to live every day with God's help. I love the last part of this verse. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Yes! As we allow God to be Who He desires to be in our life we will be who He desires us to be. Praise His Holy Name! I am reminded this morning of the song "Who You Are To Me" and thankful of Who God is in my life.

Some people think You're distant, just some words on a page
That You're nothing more than fables handed down along the way
But I've seen You part the waters when no one else could pull me from the deep
That's who You are to me

Some people think You just live in cathedrals made of stone
But I know You live inside my heart, I know that it's Your home
And I've seen You in a sunset and in the eyes of a stranger on the street
That's who You are to me

You're amazing, faithful, love's open door
When I'm empty You fill me with hunger for more
Of Your mercy, Your goodness
Lord, You're the air that I breathe
That's who You are to me
Who You are to me

Dear Jesus, Thank You for being with me throughout the day yesterday and for another good report from the oncologist! Thank You for continuing to guide me through every aspect of my life! You are so good! Cleanse me so I do not miss any opportunity You give me today. May Your love flow out of me in a mighty way. Father, I pray for people to share Your love with many going through 'tough' days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Tony and Madeline; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Little Jensen who needs a heart; Sharon Sebolt and her Momma Shirley; Serena and her husband; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Pastor Sam; Mary Lilley; Preacher Bill Watts; those with COVID either themselves or in their family; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Timmy; Nada and her family; Amber; families in turmoil; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments... Doug and Gay; Patty's daughter Tracy; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousins; Debbie's husband Kelly; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Patti Perkins; Tammie as she has completed treatments; Betty's friend in New York'; my friend diagnosed with mesothelioma; Dorothy's grandson; Little Ivy; Elaine; and my friend who had biopsy yesterday. I pray for: Jonathan whose mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor, the Long Family, Baby Henry, Sam Jackson with surgery today, and Christina and her family, I pray for all our military and their families to lean into Your strength. Lord, continue to give Anna, Michael, Matt, and myself what we need to not just through these days without my Rickey but to find reasons to be joyful. I will always remember his words when I called him after the last checkup. 'My Sheila Girl I don't want to lose you.' Neither one of us would have ever guessed I would be the one to lose him. Thank You Lord for the time I had with him and for continuing to be with me as once again I adjust to a new way of life. Thank You for being 'The Air That I Breathe'! Amen.

No comments: