Wednesday, March 2, 2022

John 15:9-11 - "Life"

Last night as I finished the sermon God gave me for Sunday I paused to think about the call God put on my life. The first time He shared my call with me I was thrilled to find out I was going to be a Chaplain. Many people think it is weird but I am comfortable in the hospital setting especially at the end of life. Yesterday as I visited and prayed with a dear friend I was so blessed to know God called me. A few years after He called me to be a Chaplain He told me that was only going to be a part of my call. His call upon my life was to be a Shepherd and preach. I am sure He chuckled when I argued with Him about going to Bible college for this call. I remember saying, 'but God why would I go to school to preach when Doc is the preacher in the house.' Fast forward to September 4, 2020 when Doc left this earth. Soon after the church asked me to be their pastor. Wow, God! We never know what is in the future but when we know Him we can be assured it is taken care of. I remember in spring of 2019 before Doc's diagnosis we went to Tennessee for the gathering of those going to be ordained. I still did not understand all the particulars of my path but walked in obedience. Doc had not been diagnosed yet even though we knew something was going on in his body. Fast forward to June of 2020. He laid in the back seat on a special mattress we bought for such trips for him and went with me to my ordination interview. I was so happy he was with me and we both looked forward to him being with me for ordination. We did not know if he would be strong enough to walk me down the aisle but I told him a wheelchair would be fine. We both were disappointed when the service was postponed due to COVID. Those last months he ordered on-line my Bible, a dress, and shoes for my 'big' day. There was a point he told me he needed to write in my Bible and I knew he was thinking his days were numbered. Fast forward to July 2021 to when I had my ordination interview with the General Superintendent. Once again, things were different due to COVID. It was on zoom with all of the ordinands together. I remember being apprehensive with not knowing what to expect. I was thankful God had my Rickey here for a visit so when it was over I had him to talk to. It was also a blessing that he picked out my coverlet to wear over the dress Doc bought. July 19, 2021 was my ordination day. I remember thinking I would do the ugly tears walking down the aisle without Doc but instead God gave me joy in my spirit which put a smile on my face. It was like I had come full circle from the moment God called me to be a Shepherd. Fast forward to today. I am so blessed to be the pastor of the Beaufort Church of the Nazarene. They love me well and put up with me being a first-time lead pastor. I am sure they get tired of hearing me say, 'because that is how Pastor Doc wanted it' when it comes to building stuff. I am also sure they think I am crazy at times but I am thankful they know I do nothing without God's direction. I say it all the time. I am one blessed lady. I am living the 'rich life' as Beckah Shae's song "Life" speaks of...

More than I could expect
Anticipate or imagine
Oh, I'm willing to believe
Amazing things are still happening

I'm gonna live the rich life
The full and blessed life
So if y'all know what I mean
Put your hands up and declare with me, yeah
Love in full effect, chaim

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the trip down memory lane of the call You have on my life! Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for the rest You provided last evening and for finishing Sunday's sermon! Father, cleanse me so You can fill me so I can be who You desire of me. I pray for peace for many going through 'tough' days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Tony and Madeline; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Little Jensen who needs a heart; Sharon Sebolt and her Momma Shirley; the Pottenger Family; Serena and her husband; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Preacher Bill Watts; those with COVID either themselves or in their family; Iwilda; Kristen Batten; Timmy; my friend in the hospital; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Doug and Gay; Patty's daughter Tracy; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousins; Debbie's husband Kelly; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Patti Perkins; Tammie; Little Ivy and Dorothy's grandson with leukemia; Betty's friend in New York'; my friend diagnosed with mesothelioma; and my friend going through tests. I pray for: Jonathan whose mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor, the Long Family, Baby Henry, and Karl Stein. I pray for all our military and their families to lean into Your strength. Thank You Lord for being with Anna, Michael, Matt, and myself in these days without my Rickey with us. I know you put him in my life for a season and for that I am grateful. Thank You for being My Rich Life! Amen. 

No comments: