Monday, March 28, 2022

Psalm 64 - "Praise You In This Storm"


God woke me with the direction to read and ponder on Psalm 64. I read it in different versions to get what He desired me to receive from it. The last verse in The Message reads: Good-hearted people, make praise your habit. Yesterday as my flight kept getting delayed I had a choice to make. I could either get crabby or I could find reasons to praise God through the situation. I asked God what He wanted me to accomplish as I waited. I had my laptop so I could get a lot done but that was not His plan. I watched for opportunities to share His love with people. One older gentleman was alone. The seats were full with one beside me open and I offered for him to sit there. He shared with me how proud he was for his son retiring from the Air Force after twenty years of service. He loved to talked and I loved to listen. Many probably would have shunned him due to his shabby clothing and needing a bath. God told me to listen to him and I did. He seemed so lonely. I thought about praying with him but God told me to pray for him so I did. This man is one I will probably never see again on this earth but I pray I see him in heaven. If I would have been crabby about the situation, I would have missed out on putting a smile on a lonely man's face. Isn't that the way many days go? We get so caught up in life that we miss putting smiles on people's faces? We miss praising God when life doesn't go as planned? I need to get better at praising Him no matter what is happening. I had a friend share with me yesterday that she would have given up and gone back home in my situation. I know God has a plan no matter what happens. I also know He will direct me to do as He desires. I shared in yesterday's sermon the importance of not only hearing from God but walking in obedience to Him. I know it is hard when going through a 'storm' in life to not be focused on the 'storm' itself. I have lived through some pretty nasty 'storms' yet I am still here striving to live for God. He empowers and enlightens me through the 'storms' as I allow Him. I am reminded of the song "Praise You In The Storm" this morning...

And I'll praise you in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For you are who you are
No matter where I am

And every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise you in this storm

Spurgeon wrote of Psalm 64:10, “Their observation of providence shall increase their faith; since he who fulfils his threatenings will not forget his promises.” I know my faith grows deeper with every 'storm' that comes my way.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with our time around the altar! Thank You for loving me so greatly that You give me the privilege to pastor! Thank You for reminding me to praise You no matter what happens in life! Cleanse me so you can fill me. May Your words, actions, attitude, and thoughts shine brightly through me. I pray peace over many going through 'tough' days. May they realize peace can happen in the midst of the 'storms' of life. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Tony and Madeline; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Little Jensen who needs a heart; Sharon Sebolt and her Momma Shirley; Serena and her husband; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Pastor Sam; Mary Lilley; Preacher Bill Watts; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Timmy; Amber; families in turmoil; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments... Doug and Gay; Patty's daughter Tracy; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousins; Debbie's husband Kelly; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Patti Perkins; Tammie; Betty's friend in New York; Clay's friend; my friend diagnosed with mesothelioma; Dorothy's grandson; Little Ivy; and my friend who has upcoming radiation treatments. I pray for: Jonathan whose mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor, the Long Family, Baby Henry, and Christina and her family. I pray for all our military and their families to lean into Your strength. Lord, continue to be with Anna, Michael, Matt, and myself with 'tough' days without my Rickey with us. Yesterday You brought so many memories of him to my mind as I sat at the airport. I am so thankful for the time You gave me with him. What a blessing I have in the memories we made together. Thank You for being My Storm Calmer! Amen. 

No comments: