Sunday, March 13, 2022

Acts 20:28 - "Rise"

Yesterday was a different day than I anticipated but it was a 'good' day. The plan was to meet up with friends for lunch downtown to celebrate Doc's birthday. The weather didn't cooperate so we postponed. I spent the day watching movies, finishing a grand baby gift, baking, etc. Last night before going to bed I prayed for pastors. I prayed for them again during the night and this morning. Recently I have read many posts from people who are praying for pastors. I don't think people realize how much encouragement pastors need. I was reading in Acts this week and came upon a statement Paul made to the Ephesian elders that is applicable to all pastors. He encouraged them to make sure they were living as they should be so they could lead their flock in the manner God desired. It is important for church leaders to live as God desires. If we do not live our life in a manner we can hear God's voice and walk in obedience to Him, we cannot expect to lead others to live in such manner. I ask God every day to cleanse me so He can fill me. Then, and only then, can I live as He desires. I love how Guzik put it. "The godly leader knows that effective leadership flows from a life, not just knowledge." Yes! We must live out what we preach. We need to be a living example for God so He can use us as He desires. We also need to remember wherever God puts us is where He desires us to be but it is never 'our' church but His. I struggle at times saying things such as 'my church' or 'my people.' I know it is God's and not mine yet this is where He has me serving. He is trusting me to lead them to where He desires. It takes much prayer to stay focused on what God desires of me as a person and as a shepherd. Praise God for the way He continues to lead. I was thinking about how He called me to be a shepherd and about how I argued. 'Why would I go to school for that when Doc is the preacher in the family?' Fast forward to 2020 when he took his last breath on this earth and the question was answered. We may not understand His answers or the timing of what He tells us. We may not be able to comprehend what He tells us to do. In His time we will be given what we need to know and the answers will come. They may not be what we expect but they will be what we desire if we truly are walking in obedience to Him. God reminded me this morning of the song Danny Gokey sings called "Rise"...

But something inside you can't deny
You hear the call of your creator
I made you for more, unlocked the door
I wanna restore your glory

So rise
Breaking the dark, piercing the night
You're made to shine
An army of hope
Bringing the world
A radiant light
A radiant light
You were made to rise, rise

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for the video Angela sent me of Ruby Jean! I so needed it to start my day yesterday! Thank You for a day of rest, dinner provided by neighbors, and for another grand baby project completed! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May I and all who are in the pulpit speak what You so desire of us. May people go into services today expecting to receive You. May those who are struggling in life receive Your peace. I pray for: my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Tony and Madeline; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Mike; Norma Hall; Little Jensen who needs a heart; Sharon Sebolt and her Momma Shirley; Serena and her husband; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; a husband/father separated from his wife; Pastor Sam; Mary Lilley; Preacher Bill Watts; those with COVID either themselves or in their family; Carolynn's family; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Timmy; Nada and her family; Pastor Todd's family; Amber; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Doug and Gay; Patty's daughter Tracy; Sharon's daughter Ashley and niece Amy; Chrissy's cousins; Debbie's husband Kelly; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Patti Perkins; Tammie; Betty's friend in New York'; my friend diagnosed with mesothelioma; Dorothy's grandson; Little Ivy;  and my friend going through tests. I pray for: Jonathan whose mother was diagnosed with a brain tumor, the Long Family, Baby Henry, Christina and her family, and Karl Stein. I pray for all our military and their families to lean into Your strength. I pray blessings over my sister Mary as she celebrates her 75th birthday today. Lord, continue to give Anna, Michael, Matt, and myself what we need on 'tough' days without my Rickey. May the 'good' memories overpower the grief. Thank You Jesus for being My Shepherd! Amen.

No comments: