Thursday, March 18, 2021

Psalm 29 - "Eye of the Storm"

 


The Lord took me to Psalm 29 this morning. It speaks of the voice of the Lord multiple times in the VOICE translation. I love living a life where I not only hear His voice but desire to walk in obedience to it. I love living where He clearly speaks to me. His voice is the best to hear. When I hear Him say 'daughter...', I just melt. I find it interesting that 'bad' weather is in the forecast for today. Spurgeon wrote of this Psalm:

It seems to be the general opinion of modern annotators, that this Psalm is meant to express the glory of God as heard in the pealing thunder, and seen in the equinoctial tornado. Just as the eighth Psalm is to be read by moonlight, when the stars are bright, as the nineteenth needs the rays of the rising sun to bring out its beauty, so this can be best rehearsed beneath the black wing of tempest, by the glare of the lightning, or amid that dubious dusk which heralds the war of elements. The verses march to the tune of thunderbolts. God is everywhere conspicuous, and all the earth is hushed by the majesty of his presence. The word of God in the law and gospel is here also depicted in its majesty of power. True ministers are sons of thunder, and the voice of God in Christ Jesus is full of majesty. Thus we have God's works and God's word joined together: let no man put them asunder by a false idea that theology and science can by any possibility oppose each other. We may, perhaps, by a prophetic glance, behold in this Psalm the dread tempests of the latter days, and the security of the elect people. 

As I look outside this morning, I see dreariness instead of sunshine. There has to be dreary days in order for us to appreciate the beautiful days. There has to be 'tough' days along with 'good' days. It is in the 'tough' days or the 'storms of life' we grow in our walk with Him. Many people dread these days we are living in because they are fearful of Jesus' return. I have no fear of Him coming back. It is exciting to think about. I am sad for all who still have not received Him into their life. I am sad for those who are pretending to be in relationship with Him when they are not. I am sad for those who truly know what it means for be a follower of Christ yet have chosen to walk with the world instead. There are many things that make me sad in this life but they all point to One thing, Jesus. When the storms of life come upon us, we do not have to fear but instead can stand in His strength. I love the last verse of Psalm 29. It reads in the New Living TranslationThe Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace. Strength and peace are found in the storms of life. They are found when we, as humans, cannot explain how we can smile through what we go through. I have been asked so many times about how I can get through life with a smile on my face. Pure and simple. My Heavenly Father gives it to me. He empowers me with His Holy Spirit to not just get through 'tough' days but to strive for Him to be glorified through them. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Psalm 29 that reminds me You give strength and peace in the midst of the storms of life! Thank You for the blessings from yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You for loving me so greatly! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You ooze out of my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a mighty way! I pray Your strength and peace over many today going through physical issues. I pray they will realize You in a greater way than ever before. Linda Kerns; John Wagner; Sharon Martin; Steve McHenry; Joyce Williams; Pete and Delores Avery; Dave Stanley; Samantha Greathouse; and others going through illness, surgery, etc. I pray Your strength and peace over those who are struggling spiritually. I pray they will find You before Your return. I pray You will use all believers to share Your love. Lord, I pray Your protection over all with the storms of nature that are happening. I pray Your strength over me as I continue to deal with MS tingling. I also pray for You to go before me with my doctor appointment today. Thank You Jesus for being My Strength and My Peace! Amen.

No comments: