Monday, March 29, 2021

Luke 19:41-42 - "He Is"

What an interesting day I had yesterday! I was thankful for another time to preach, the beautiful sunshine to enjoy, a time to pray with a lady who fell at the waterfront, reading a Max Lucado book as I sat on the swing at the waterfront, having Miss Everly for my walking buddy in the evening..it was a full day. The thing that stayed with me throughout the day was part of my sermon. It actually was something I read in the Sunday School book yesterday morning. In the Life Application section it read: "We can become all that God desires as we allow His lavish love and grace to work within us." This statement reminded me of Luke 19:41-42 that I had pulled out to read for Palm Sunday. Jesus wept over Jerusalem. He wept for the lost souls. He knew they needed a Savior. That 'sealed the deal' for Him to continue on the path to fulfill the desire of His Father's heart to die for all of our sins. I need to get better at 'weeping over the souls of people' so more will come into relationship with Him. I need to get better at having myself open to what He desires of me so more will come into relationship with Him. I need to get better at loving with His love so more will come into relationship with Him. Plain and simple. I need to get better at all I do so more will come into relationship with Him. That is not my 'job' as a pastor but it is the responsibility of all believers. I wrote in my Sunday school book: "Our heart needs to break for people so we will allow God to use us to make a change in their spiritual life." The more we strive to be who He desires us to be, the more our life will be changed along with all we meet. As I was reading Lucado's book yesterday I was amazed at how much was intertwined with this Scripture. We all have tears that fall due to our own circumstances. They fall when life seems to be falling apart. They fall when life is 'good' and everything is falling into place. There are tears of joy and tears of sadness. There are tears that come out of nowhere in my life as I deal with being alone. Yesterday I read the cover of the book before delving into it. It read:

When life feels depleted, does God care...when life grows dark and stormy, does God notice? The answer in the life-giving miracles in the Gospel of John is a resounding yes. In this book, Max Lucado will help you:

  • Realize that Jesus is walking with you and lifting you out of your storms.
  • Dwell in the grace of the cross, the miracles of the empty tomb, and the assurance of restoration power.
  • Believe that God is your ever-present source of help.
  • Recognize that you are never without hope or strength because you are never, ever, alone.

Today, take courage that you are stronger than you think because God is nearer than you know. (Lucado)

These words made me stop and think about how many people in this world are living without the hope of Christ. I was reminded about how people who do not know Him cannot bask in His strength. When life falls apart for those who are not in relationship with Him, what do they do? Who do they turn to? Many times they turn to 'friends' who are not in relationship with Him either. That can compound the issues of life. We all need to have Him to turn to with tears of 'joy' and tears of 'sadness'! We all need to follow His example and weep over lost souls. 

Dear Jesus, Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace! Thank You for the opportunities You gave me yesterday to love with Your love and for the ones You will give me today! Thank You for being so real to me! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me so I can have a greater burden for the souls of the lost. Father, may You be my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a way that will shine brightly for you. I pray special prayers for: my sister Linda and my friend Kaye as they continue to recuperate from back surgery; Joyce who fell yesterday and was taken to the hospital; a couple waiting on test results for their unborn child; unspoken requests for many; the building to be completed; and most of all for the lost to find You. Lord, thank You for the reminders from yesterday that I am not alone in this life. What a blessing to start my day with hugs and conversation with my friend Leslie and to end it laughing with Rickey and his friends. You always provide exactly what I need, when I need it. Thank You for Lucado's book "You Are Never Alone" that encourages me greatly! Thank You for my friend Carol Young who I took to the library and found this book! Once again, You always provide. Lord, be with me in the day ahead and give me protection on the road and opportunities to have Your love pour out of me. Thank You Jesus for being My Empowerment! Amen.

No comments: