Saturday, April 21, 2018

Philippians 3 - "Dream Small"

April 20 is normally a very emotion day for me. This year it was the twenty-fourth anniversary date of my MS diagnosis and the fifth year anniversary of my Daddy taking his last breath here on earth. There are usually a lot of tears that fall on that date. This year was different with being at my Ministry Assessment. Instead of focusing on the past, I was looking to the future. The words of encouragement from different speakers, my co-hort leaders, and fellow pastors were so appreciated. As I thought about where God is leading me, I was excited. He has not shown me the big picture but He has given me insight into what I am to do in the near future. There are times I get jealous of Dan Bohi and his team with the miracles they see regularly. There are also times when I hear of spiritual things that are happening in people's ministry and I think 'Why is that not happening to me?' One thing I was reminded of over the last couple days is that God has me exactly where He wants me. I just need to continue to be obedient as I listen to His voice. He is doing great things through me. People see His love through my words, actions, and attitude. I just have to 'keep keepin' on'! I think of the words of Paul in Philippians 3 about how we need to continue pressing on toward the eternal gift of heaven. He begins chapter three encouraging us to "...rejoice in the Lord!" He continues this chapter about how we are not to live as those in the world but we are to live for Christ as he did. We are to remember the past is just that. The past. We cannot go back and redo it. Instead we need to keep our eyes on eternal life with our Heavenly Father. The only way to spend eternity with Him is to be in relationship with Him while on this earth. In verse thirteen Paul writes that he has not attained everything the Lord has for him but he knows that it is important to remember we are to be "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead." As I listened to many people over the last two days, this thought was embedded in my mind. My future is in His hands. How I respond to Him will determine how my life will be. My obedience or disobedience will show through on how I am used as His humble servant. I look forward to the days ahead to see what He has in store for me. April 20 has taken on a new meaning for me. Yes, I am saddened my Daddy is no longer with us on this earth but I also am rejoicing that he is out of his suffering. Yes, MS is not something to easily deal with daily but God has been my strength over the last twenty-four years and will continue to be. April 20, 2018 was a date of confirmation in my spirit that I am doing as He desires and will continue to do so. Paul wrote in verses 15-16 of Philippians 3...

So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! Now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it. (MSG)

Yes! I do not desire 'blurred vision' but instead desire to be 'on the right track' with God. It is interesting how in verses 17-19 in The Message Paul tells us to "Keep track of those you see running the same course, headed for this same goal. It reminded me of those I attended the Ministry Assessment with. They are seeking the same thing I am seeking and that is God's will for their life. There are many people, as Paul writes about in verses 17-19, who are not seeking God's will. It is sad to think about these ones but it also is encouraging to me to continue loving on them with His love. The ending of this chapter also encourages me with the promise of living with Him in Glory...

But there’s far more to life for us. We’re citizens of high heaven! We’re waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He’ll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him. (MSG)

I will admit there are many days where I want His return to happen because of the 'junk' I deal with. Those are selfish thoughts because there are still many who are not in relationship with Him yet. I need to get better at sharing Him with all I meet. I should not keep Him to myself but instead share Him. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace that enables me to walk in obedience to You. Thank You for the encouragement I received at the Ministry Assessment. Thank You for all of the people who shared their story, what You laid on their heart, etc. Thank You for safety on the roads and the strength to accomplish the task You set before me. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me. Enable me to love with Your love all I meet. Be my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. I pray for direction as I seek 'organizational seriousness' in my life. I pray for empowerment in my spirit. Lord, most of all I pray for Your will to be lived out through me. Thank You Jesus for being My Goal. Amen.

No comments: