Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Lamentations 3:22-27 - "Healer"


As I read the book of Lamentations this morning I pondered on what is happening in our nation in recent days. Wild fires on the West Coast, droughts, tornadoes in Ohio, Hurricane Harvey hitting Texas, and Hurricane Irma getting closer to Florida and possibly coming up the East Coast. I believe our time is drawing short on this earth. The time of the Lord's return is drawing nearer every day. Isaiah 26:9 reads, "For when the earth experiences Your judgements the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness." Is that what God is doing with all of these weather situations? Is He trying to get people to realize the urgency in being in relationship with Him? Isaiah 24:3-4 talks about drought. Deuteronomy 28:23-24 and Zechariah 14:17 talk about it being a consequence of disobedience. Jesus Himself speaks about wild weather in Luke 21:25. "There will be...dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves." The word 'roaring' come from the word 'echeo' in Greek which means to make a loud noise. This makes me think of the hurricanes and tropical storms. Heavy rains are prophesied in Isaiah 24:18..."For the windows above (the floodgates of the heavens in NIV) are opened..." It is believed by many scholars torrential rain will show God's judgements on the rebellious nations. We do not have to fear these weather events. They are part of the process as we draw nearer to His return. We do not have to fret and worry but instead need to live in the peace He gives us. We need to allow Him to direct our decisions such as if and when to evacuate. We must stay in a relationship with Him where we hear His voice and walk in obedience. He loves us and will protect us. He desires to use us to be Him to others. He desires us to realize He is all we need. Matthew Henry writes:

Bad as things are, it is owing to the mercy of God that they are not worse. We should observe what makes for us, as well as what is against us. God's compassions fail not; of this we have fresh instances every morning. Portions on earth are perishing things, but God is a portion for ever. It is our duty, and will be our comfort and satisfaction, to hope and quietly to wait for the salvation of the Lord. Afflictions do and will work very much for good: many have found it good to bear this yoke in their youth; it has made many humble and serious, and has weaned them from the world, who otherwise would have been proud and unruly. If tribulation work patience, that patience will work experience, and that experience a hope that makes not ashamed. Due thoughts of the evil of sin, and of our own sinfulness, will convince us that it is of the Lord's mercies we are not consumed. If we cannot say with unwavering voice, The Lord is my portion; may we not say, I desire to have Him for my portion and salvation, and in his word do I hope? Happy shall we be, if we learn to receive affliction as laid upon us by the hand of God.

These words describe how I desire to live. He is my portion and that is all I need. I don't need 'stuff' but I need Him. As long as I am in relationship with Him I have hope. That hope fills me so I do not have to complain but instead will look for opportunities to be Jesus to others. I cannot pray for the Lord to be with me and then turn around and complain about what He is doing or not doing. What I pray with my mouth must come from my heart.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the book of Lamentations that reminds me You are all I need. I pray for more people to come into relationship with You. Father, I've said it before even though it is a hard thing to say...whatever it takes to get people to know You. Whatever it takes. Those words take courage to say because it can mean death, devastation from a storm, disease...all kinds of things but whatever it takes. Father, I pray for little Eli as he goes through testing. I pray You will provide wisdom to the doctors and peace to his parents. I pray for little Richie who is on his trip to Disney with Make-a-Wish. Oh how I pray the weather will not dampen his trip. I also pray for myself as I need to take my final in the next couple of days and am distracted with Hurricane Irma. I pray You will help me to retain what I have learned and give me wisdom on when to take the final. Lord, You are all I need. Thank You for being My Portion. Amen.

No comments: