Sunday, July 31, 2016

Deuteronomy 11:1; I Peter 1:15-16 - "Offering"


I woke up this morning with the words to "Offering" on my lips. I love this song and am looking forward to leading my church family in worship today as we sing it.

I bring an offering of worship to my King
No one on earth deserves the praises that I sing
Jesus may You receive the honor that You're due
O Lord I bring an offering to You

Too many times people think of just money when it comes to an 'offering' but that is not what God wants at all. He desires the 'offering' of ourselves over money. He desires the 'offering' of surrender over anything else we could possibly give Him. The desire of His heart is for each one of us to give all of ourselves to Him. Nothing we have is ours. Everything is His. If only more people would realize that little bit of knowledge then the world would sure be a different place. If only more people would follow the direction Moses gives in Deuteronomy 11:1. The world would be a different place if people loved the Lord in a way that would show they are surrendered to Him. No one is perfect. Therefore, no one can do everything right and not do anything wrong. No one can do everything the Lord desires of them and have the right attitude 24/7. BUT we all can strive to live a life of holiness. In the Church of the Nazarene Articles of Faith we are to be holy people. Article 10.1 reads...

We believe that the grace of entire sanctification includes the divine impulse to grow in grace as a Christlike disciple. However, this impulse must be consciously nurtured, and careful attention given to the requisites and processes of spiritual development and improvement in Christlikeness of character and personality. Without such purposeful endeavor, one’s witness may be impaired and the grace itself frustrated and ultimately lost. Participating in the means of grace, especially the fellowship, disciplines, and sacraments of the Church, believers grow in grace and in wholehearted love to God and neighbor.

This Article lays it out plainly on how we are to live. Some would argue this is a book that is made by man. Therefore, we do not have to follow it. I agree and disagree with that thinking. Yes, it is by man but it is full of God's Words throughout. For example, this particular section about holiness is based upon Scripture. One of my favorite Scriptures is I Peter 1:15-16 which gives His words. “Be holy, because I am holy.” Yes! We are to follow His example as we live on this earth if we want to live with Him when we leave this earth. The only way to do that is to accept Him, live for Him and be surrendered to Him. This morning as I sing these words....I bring an offering of worship to my King; No one on earth deserves the praises that I sing; Jesus may You receive the honor that You're due;O Lord I bring an offering to You...I will know I am truly bringing my best to Him. Oh how I pray for more people to strive to live a life of holiness.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy and grace! Thank You for second chances! Thank You for the encouragement You give me through Your Word and songs. Father, today is a new day and I pray for a newness in my spirit. I pray for anything that tries to make me 'ugly' to be knocked down. I pray for anything that tries to take my eyes off of You to be wiped out. I pray for more of You to be in me so people will see and hear You through all I do. Forgive me for the ugliness of yesterday. Physical ailment is no excuse for ugliness. Forgive me for any lost opportunities to be You to someone yesterday. I pray for people to be in a church today where You are taught. I pray for people to hear of how much You desire of full surrender from us. Lord, give Sunday School teachers, worship leaders and preachers boldness in their words and actions. May they listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit and do as You so desire of them. Thank You Jesus for being My Example. Amen.


No comments: