Friday, October 9, 2015

Philippians - "First"


The Apostle Paul gives clear direction in his writing about how to live a live pleasing to the Lord. During the night the Lord woke me up twice to think about his writing. The question came to my mind, "Is it a sin if one does not do as Paul suggests?" The definition of 'sin' is:

1.
transgression of divine law: the sin of Adam.
2.
any act regarded as such a transgression,especially a willful or deliberate violation of some religious or moral principle.
3.
any reprehensible or regrettable action, behavior,lapse, etc.; great fault or offense
Paul wrote to the Church of Philippi in chapter one that are to "...stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel..."



27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel 28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. 29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, 30 since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.
In chapter two he directs us...
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
He continues in verse twelve with continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling and in fourteen and fifteen, Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure.
In chapter three we are encouraged to Rejoice in the Lord! (vs 1). Chapter four gives us that same encouragement along with these words...
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice.And the God of peace will be with you.
Wow! The book of Philippians is full of direction we, as a believer, are to follow. So once again I ponder on the question, "Is is a sin if one does not do as Paul suggests?" I go back to the second definition for 'sin' and think it is a sin if we don't follow anything that is in the Bible. I consider the words of Paul to be religious principles. Therefore, if I am deliberately not following them I am sinning. Sometimes we don't even realize when we sin. It is so important to go before the Lord each and every day and ask for forgiveness for not only the things we know we have done wrong but for the things perhaps we have done and did not even realize we were doing.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for these things to ponder upon! Thank You for Your love, grace and mercy that envelopes me each and every moment of my days. Thank You for the improvement in my walking over these last couple of days! Lord, fill me with more of You and less of me so I can be the servant You so desire. Father, during the night You had me praying specifically for four couples who need You so very badly in their lives. Speak to them so plainly that there is no doubt in their minds what they need to do. Heal the hurts in the one marriage. Open eyes in the other three couples so they will live totally for You. Lord, most of all I pray for Your love to be so overwhelming to them they will definitely know it is You. Thank You Jesus for being My First! Amen.

No comments: