Friday, October 2, 2015

Matthew 6:9-13 - "Not To Us"


I had a friend ask me if it was OK to pray for yourself. I told her this was something I struggled with but the Lord revealed to me He wants us to pray for ourselves. He explained it this way. He and I are the only ones who know some things in my life. We are the only two who know some hurts, some dreams, etc. Therefore, I am the only one who can pray for such things and He is the only One I can talk to about such things. I use to really struggle with going to the altar to be anointed for my MS when there were people in the congregation with worse pain, disease, etc. But then He assured me it was OK to ask for others to pray for me. At that point in time I looked 'fine' and people didn't realize I needed prayer for the MS. It was only through my stepping out or speaking out that people knew I needed prayer.

Another thing to think about is how Jesus gave us the Lord's Prayer as an example of how to pray. In it we are given four areas to pray for in our lives. Our needs; our being to be more Christ-like; forgiveness; and protection from evil. If we weren't suppose to pray for ourselves, then this direction to pray would not have been shared. 

It is important though to pray for others. We can't get caught up so much in praying for ourselves and forget to pray for others. Each morning after I pray for others I pray asking Jesus for more of Him and less of me. I know that is the only way His will, will be accomplished through me. I also pray for strength not only in my physical, mental and emotional bodies but most especially in my spiritual body. Is that being selfish? I don't believe it is. I need His empowerment to be upon me every second of the day. It is not for my glory but for His glory!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving us enough that you answer tough questions such as this. Thank You for Your direction that You give to us each and every day. Lord, bless my friends today who are going through tough times with illnesses in themselves and/or in their family. Lord, I pray for You to love on them in a way today that will blow them away. Lord, I pray for blessings to be in abundance to the two families with young men who appear to be in their last days from cancer. I can't even begin to imagine what these families are going through but I do know they need Your strength in abundance. Lord, strengthen my spiritual being in a mighty way...use me to be a beacon of light for You. Father, I also pray for my physical being today as it affects my emotional and mental being. Fill me to overflowing with more of You and less of me. Thank You Jesus for being The One Who Listens. Amen.


No comments: